How to recover deleted messages on Instagram? Most likely, you have already deleted your own or other people’s posts on Instagram and only then remembered that there was something of value there. The classic situation is to try to restore correspondence after deletion. This is always difficult if the service has not provided for this possibility in advance. Often this is not even possible. As for whether it is possible to recover deleted messages on Instagram, we are more fortunate here. Instagram allows both Android and iPhone to get back deleted chats with a built-in feature.
The best way to recover deleted messages on Instagram is to use a special feature of the service that allows you to download backups of your account data. The social network periodically saves a “cast” of each profile, that is, the basic data that relates to it.
How to recover deleted messages on Instagram:
- Open the application on Android or iPhone and go to the “Profile” tab.
- Click on the three bars in the upper right corner and go to the “Settings” section.
- Open the “Security” section and click on the “Download data” item.
- On the next page, enter your email address and click on the “Request File” button.
- Now you need to enter a password for your Instagram account.
- We are waiting for an email. Officially, the company says that it takes no more than 2 days. It usually happens much faster.
- Download the received file from the mail to any of your devices.
- Open the archive in zip format with any archiver. You must have a pre-installed application for this purpose. If not, install any from the app store, there are a lot of them.
- We are looking for a folder called “Messages”, and in it – “Chats”. Open the HTML file.
Now it’s time to talk about the nuances of the method, since it is not omnipotent. There are times when recovery is not possible given by:
- Too much time has passed since the deletion. Data is stored for a certain period of time, so it is not a fact that old messages will remain in the archive.
- The newest part of the correspondence has not been preserved. Reservations take place at regular intervals. Perhaps the latest messages will not be included in the backup.
- You cannot return chats to the Instagram app itself. The specified method allows only to see what was in the correspondence, but not to return it inside the application.
What else can you try?
Recovery by alternative methods is also possible, but each of them has nuances, due to which the use of methods is impossible in most cases. Still worth knowing about them, suddenly, something will do.
What to try:
- Ask the interlocutor to forward the correspondence . If the chat was conducted with a person you trust, you can ask him to send you correspondence again. You just need to select messages, click on the “Share” button and send to the interlocutor. Even easier is to take a screenshot and send it.
- View on PC . If you have an Instagram login on your computer, and you deleted the conversation from your phone, you can try to view it on your PC. You need to turn off the Internet and enter the site through a browser. It is important to find the page with the necessary correspondence in the history. If the page is cached, it will be loaded offline and you can see what was there at the time of the previous use of the browser.
- Restore backup . Provided that you have a backup of all data from the phone, you can try to selectively restore information from it. Only deployment needs to be done without a network connection.
All additional methods can be used only in certain circumstances, unlike the first method. The greatest chances to return correspondence to Instagram is to download a backup from the service. It is this option that should be used in the first place.