We help to enable, connect and configure Wi-Fi on a laptop
Connecting to a wireless network is the most convenient way to access the Internet at high speed without unnecessary wires. In a number of situations, laptop or netbook users may experience various kinds of difficulties during startup and connection setup. The process itself is quite simple, but in some cases there are various unforeseen difficulties. To take advantage of a wireless connection, you first need to understand how Wi-Fi is set up on a laptop.
Is there a Wi-Fi module on the laptop?
The laptop Wi-Fi adapter is the most useful module in the design. Due to the presence of an integrated chip, it is possible to connect to the nearest wireless network distributed by the router. Given the fact that such modules are built into the laptop, in order to check their presence, you will need to open the back cover of the product.
Healthy! There is also an easier way – enter the model name of the device into a search on the Internet and find information about the Wi-Fi adapter.
Before connecting Wi-Fi to a laptop, you need to turn the product over and carefully inspect the back cover. I must say that, probably, you will not need to completely unscrew the cover, since the module itself is sometimes located behind a small partition, under which there is RAM, a battery and even a disk. In addition, it should be noted that there may be several covers at the bottom of the device, opening which it is possible to gain access to various components of the structure.
Important! In some laptop models, the Wi-Fi module is located not behind the motherboard, but in front. Therefore, to gain access to the adapter, you will need to disconnect the keyboard.
When the module is missing, it is necessary to select the correct model for the laptop. It will only depend on the preferences of the user, the router and the network connection provided by the provider. After purchasing the necessary module, you will need to carry out a simple procedure for installing the Wi-Fi adapter.
How do I turn on Wi-Fi on my laptop?
Many people believe that connecting to Wi-Fi is an automatic procedure that does not require specific actions: only entering a password to establish a connection, and then only once, since in the future the OS remembers it, and a second introduction will not be required. However, in some situations, it may be difficult to launch Wi-Fi or connect. In view of this, most users do not know what to do. To turn on Wi-Fi on a laptop, you can use a key combination or find a special switch on the case.
Method 1: using a dedicated switch
On many laptop models, depending on the manufacturer, there is a special switch. Mostly it is located on the right or left side of the product body, and in some situations – in front. It can have a different look, but it always performs one function – it enables and disables the wireless network. To turn on Wi-Fi, you just need to move the knob to the “Enabled” position. Next to it there may be inscriptions: “OFF” or “0” – disable / disable and “On” or “1” – enable / enable.
Method 2: shortcut keys
When the laptop lacks sliders or individual Wi-Fi launch keys, you should take a closer look at the keyboard: you can find the “Wi-Fi” designation on one of the function buttons on it. Such a key can be located on various buttons, everything will depend on the developer and device model.
The most popular combinations, most often used in models from various developers:
- Acer. Buttons: “Fn” + “F3”.
- Asus. Combination “Fn” + “F2”.
- HP. Here you need to press “Fn” + “F12”.
- Lenovo. Required keys: “Fn” + “F5”.
- Samsung. “Fn” + “F12” or “Fn” + “F9”.
- Dell. The combination of buttons “Fn” + “F12” or “Fn” + “F2”.
The “Fn” key is sometimes missing. In such a situation, all buttons should be carefully inspected. One of them has a Wi-Fi image. The required key is pressed and the network will turn on.
Important! Often, laptop developers make such a key backlit: for example, if Wi-Fi is running, it is lit, when it is disabled, then it will not be backlit.
How do I connect to a hidden Wi-Fi network?
A hidden connection is a connection whose name is not displayed. This means that the name of the network will not be among the possible for connection on a PC, smartphone, laptop or other device.
If a list of possible connections opens on the laptop, then you can notice, in addition to your own network, others, with different names. When a connection is hidden, it cannot be found in the list. To connect, you must register a password, as well as a name. When the laptop detects a hidden connection, a network appears with the name “Hidden network” or “Other networks”. In addition, it is possible to hide the connection by going to the settings.
When Windows 7 or 8 is installed on the laptop, it is possible to connect to the network manually. You should search for “Network Sharing Center” and create a new connection. When finished, you need to click the “Connect to a wireless network manually” checkbox. The following settings are set in the window that appears:
- Connection name.
- Security type.
- Security key.
- When it becomes necessary for the laptop to connect to the network in auto mode, you need to leave the “Start this connection automatically” section enabled.
- A check mark is put in front of “Connect even if the network is not broadcasting”.
Important! When in the future there are difficulties with connecting to a hidden network, for example, when it is open again, then you need to delete it in the Windows settings and connect again.
In Windows 10, the procedure does not actually differ from the standard connection in previous versions. A list of available connections opens and “Hidden network” is clicked. When it is required for the laptop to connect to the network in auto mode, a check mark is put in front of “Connect automatically”:
- The name of the connection is entered.
- The password is specified and the “Next” key is pressed.
- When all the data is correct, the OS will connect to the hidden connection.
What to do if Wi-Fi doesn’t work?
You can often face difficulties when, after connecting, the laptop does not see Wi-Fi. It is there, but the internet is not working. Sites in the web browser do not load, applications do not see the network connection. Typically, a similar problem occurs when configuring a router. However, you can often observe situations when everything works, there is a connection to the network, but at a certain time it simply disappears. When the problem is in the router, it is possible to solve it in the following way:
- Initially, you need to reboot the router.
- It is imperative to make sure that the Internet is paid for and that there are no problems with the provider. To find out, it is possible to call the service department. Also, you can connect the network directly to the laptop (if possible) and find out if it will work without a router.
- It is necessary to check if the wires are connected correctly to the router. You should also look at the sensors on the router itself (are there any).
- When the Internet works without a router, you should check the settings. Probably, the device fails to connect to the network, to establish a connection with the provider.
Often, restarting your laptop and router will help you get rid of the hassle of connecting to a wireless network.
Solution 1: enable wireless in settings
On Windows 7, the connection procedure is extremely simple. All kinds of connections are displayed in the system tray after clicking on the Wi-Fi icon. However, when it is not found, then:
- It is required to go to the “Network Control Center”.
- Open “Change adapter parameters”.
- Select a network and make sure it is turned on.
On Windows 10, the process is similar, so the user will quickly figure out the connection to the network:
- Click on the connection image in the system tray.
- Select the required network.
- Click “Connect” and enter the password.
When the access point is not displayed, you should try to configure the network settings. The link of the same name is pressed – the “Network and Internet” item opens. There are 2 tabs here:
- Wi-Fi – you need to make sure that the network is activated;
- Airplane mode – make sure the mode is turned off.
Now you can open the item “Changing adapter parameters” and start the connection. In this regard, there are several equivalent methods on Windows 10 – you just need to choose the most convenient one.
Solution 2: installing drivers
When the above methods did not help to start the element that is provided for the wireless network connection, the adapter is probably disabled at the software level – in the operating system settings. You can enable it using the classic Windows settings in 2 ways:
The first method is through the use of the “Network Access Control Center”. To start the mechanism that connects the laptop to Wi-Fi, the user needs to press the Win + R key combination, and then, when the dialog box appears, write “ncpa.cpl”. This command brings up a menu that allows you to change the network settings. In the menu, you need to find a function that gives connection information. When such a graph is gray, the Wi-Fi module is disabled. To start, click the button on the right and select the start option. Then you can try to connect to the network.
Important! When the module integrated into the laptop is disabled, then in the graph responsible for the connection, the image of the network itself will be absent.
An alternative method involves the use of a dispatcher designed to monitor the functioning of devices. In it, the connectors are rarely disconnected: basically, the termination of work is caused by violations of the PC (in particular, in budget models).
To open the dispatcher, the user needs:
- Hold Win + R. In the pop-up window, “devmgmt.msc” is written and Enter is pressed.
- When the manager window is open, a section is selected in the settings, the name of which contains “Wi-Fi”, “Wireless” or “Network adapters”.
- Next, you need to select the function that uses the adapter: you can call it by right-clicking on the name.
Important! When an error appears when connecting, you should check the drivers: they will need to be reconnected, updated to the latest version, or rearranged.
Solution 3: change channel
All radio frequency ranges used for the functioning of a wireless Wi-Fi connection are divided into several channels. This is done so that all access points can work at a certain radio frequency and do not interfere with each other.
To change the radio channel on the router, the user will need to open the menu. For these purposes, you must turn on the browser and write the IP address in the address bar. When the authorization is successful, you need to find the item with the Wi-Fi connection settings. There should be a section “Channel” or “Channel”. By default, the checkbox is set to “Auto”. Instead, select a specific Wi-Fi channel number and then save the changes.
To do this, you should use special analysis programs. They are available for PCs, smartphones and other gadgets. The graphical menu in every such program is approximately the same. The user needs to open the schedule for using Wi-Fi channels and select the one that is used by neighboring connections less than the others or is free.
Solution 4: switch to a different frequency
To connect a Wi-Fi network in the 5 GHz range in a router, follow these steps:
- It is required to open the router settings.
- Select the “Selecting an operating frequency” tab and specify which Wi-Fi range you want to use: only 2.4 GHz, only 5 GHz, or both. Of course, to completely switch the router to 5 GHz, you should turn off the 2.4 frequency.
- A reboot is usually not required.
Important! This procedure is not possible on every router model. For example, one of the most common TL-WR841N does not support 5 GHz in any version. In general, switching a router to 5 GHz is not required in the full sense, since many routers are capable of operating at 2.4 and 5 GHz at once.
How to share Wi-Fi from a laptop?
In a number of situations, for example, in rented apartments or in hostels, there is no reason to buy a router. Therefore, most users have a question: how to distribute Wi-Fi from a laptop . The most popular way:
- Initially, you must turn off the network on the laptop.
- Then you need to find the command line. For this purpose, the “Start” menu opens and a query is entered in the search – “cmd”. Then it is launched with administrator rights by clicking on the icon that appears with the right mouse button.
- The first command is entered: “netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow”.
- The information of the created wireless connection, name and password are indicated.
- Enter the command to start the access point: “netsh wlan start hostednetwork”.
- Then you need to transfer the rights from the current Internet to the new “router”. For this purpose, you need to open the “Network and Sharing Center”. There the link “Change adapter settings” is displayed. Then you need to find the image of the network, right-click, select “Properties”. Then the “Access” tab opens, after which it is necessary to allow everyone to use the network connection and the created connection is selected in the “Connect to home network” list.
When you need to give full access, and not only to the network through the browser, then in the “Access” tab, click “Settings” and select the required sections.
Despite the fact that the wireless network has been used for a long time, to this day, many users ask various questions, for example, how to connect Wi-Fi on a laptop. This can be explained by the fact that new laptop models are regularly released, which have rather significant differences. This article will help you figure out how to set up Wi-Fi on a laptop and use the network itself.