How to find dungeons in Minecraft

Dungeons are useful and exciting generated structures that can be found in the world of Minecraft. While the structure itself isn’t exactly exciting, having an unlimited source of experience and corresponding mob drops is just too tempting to ignore. You can also find special treasures like enchanted golden apples, diamond horse armor, or even fixes in an enchanted book. If you have not yet found a dungeon in your world, then this guide will help you with this.

What is a dungeon?

Dungeons are structures that are created during world generation, regardless of whether the Create Structures feature is on or off. This is a hostile environment consisting of cobblestone, mossy cobblestone, monster spawner, and 0-2 chests. While it’s rare to find a dungeon without a chest, it’s possible.

How to find dungeons in minecraft0

The dungeons you find in the overworld have a 50% chance to spawn zombies, a 25% chance to spawn skeletons, and a 25% chance to spawn spiders. The monster spawner is always located in the center of the dungeon structure and will never stop spawning monsters until the area around it is lit up or the spawner itself is destroyed.

Dungeons usually have 2 chests, but it’s not uncommon to find a dungeon with only one chest. The generated loot found in these chests can vary greatly.

How to find dungeons in Minecraft1

Dungeon Structure

Every dungeon has a monster spawner. This monster generator will not stop generating mobs unless the area around it is lit or the generator itself is destroyed. If you get close enough to a monster spawner, you can see what type of mob it will spawn. As the mob doll speeds up its rotation, it will eventually reach its peak speed and subsequently spawn the corresponding mob.

How to find dungeons in minecraft 2

Dungeons consist mainly of cobblestone and mossy cobblestone. Since Mossy Cobblestone now spawns in Taiga biomes, it can be difficult to immediately tell if a Mossy Cobblestone indicates a dungeon or not. However, if you’re underground and stumble upon a cobblestone wall, chances are you’ve found a dungeon.

Dungeons are desirable not only because of their loot from chests, but also because being able to control the spawning of monsters is very useful for your experience bar. Try not to destroy spawner monsters, as they are quite rare and you can easily turn a spawner into an unlimited source of experience.

How to find dungeons in Minecraft3

This mob spawner can be turned on and off by stepping on a pressure plate that turns off the light. When standing next to a spawner, the zombies fall into an area where they can be farmed safely. This is incredibly useful for repairing enchanted tools, weapons, and armor. Having an easily accessible spawner ensures that you always have a quick and easy way to get a lot of experience.

How to find dungeons in minecraft4

As you can see, the zombies are stuck and cannot attack you in any way. You can easily gain experience from cobblestones, and if you want to grab iron, carrots, rotten flesh, or any other zombie loot, you can enter from the side. Fall damage ensures they don’t take many hits to kill, and you can also do a similar design with a skeleton generator.

How to find dungeons in Minecraft

To easily find dungeons in Minecraft, you can turn to third party extensions like Once you load up the site, you just need to plug in your seed to have it generate a map of your world with potential dungeon spawns located all over your world.

I hope you now know the benefits of running a dungeon as an important project, but how can you easily find dungeons? There are many methods, but in its current form it is primarily a matter of luck. If you want to opt out of dungeon crawling work, you can turn to third party extensions. offers a map of your world that only requires you to find your world seed. After connecting your seed, it will generate a map of your world with potential dungeon spawns located around the world. To get a world seed, log into your world, open settings, and in the game tab, scroll down until you see “Seed”.

How to find dungeons in Minecraft5

You can do this for any world, and the original chunk map will show you where potential dungeon spawns, slime chunks, underwater monuments, fortresses, and more are. This is without a doubt the easiest way to find interesting places in your world.

Java Edition vs. Bedrock Edition Dungeons

There are not many differences between the Java version dungeons and the Bedrock version that are generated in Minecraft. The overall structure remains almost identical. In fact, the only difference between the two versions is the rules by which they are naturally generated. There are no differences in items that are generated in chests. Even the chances of an item appearing remain the same.

In the Java version, dungeons will be generated at any height near caves. In the Bedrock edition, dungeons will be created as underground structures above sea level. That’s all the generation differences between the two versions.

Is it possible to find a Creeper spawner in Minecraft

There are no creeper generators in Minecraft. This is probably for the best, since the creepers will destroy the entire dungeon anyway. While not being able to have a steady stream of gunpowder is frustrating, you can always supply your gunpowder in other ways.

Why does the creative monster spawner work incorrectly?

Coding a dungeon generator is different than simply creating a monster generator yourself. In the Java version, you can easily create your own monster spawner and change which monsters will spawn by placing a spawn egg in the monster spawner. In Bedrock Edition, the monster generator only exists as a cosmetic block and requires a deep dive into the game code to work properly.


Congratulations, you now know what a dungeon is, what is the structure of dungeons, how easy it is to find them, and what is the difference between Java versions and Bedrock dungeon versions. Dungeons are fun generated structures that can give you a lot of benefits if you’re willing to put in the time. While they’re not overly interesting on their own, the potential you can tap into is impressive considering the simplicity of their design.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *