When the software installation hangs, you will receive the following error message while installing the software: “Error 1500. Another installation in progress. You must complete this installation before proceeding. ” This is due to either multiple MSI (Microsoft Installer) installers running at the same time, or an unfinished key left over from a previous installation.
Closing background software processes
- Open the task manager: simultaneously hold down the ctrl + shift + esc keys.
- We go to the “Processes” tab at the top of the “Task Manager” window.
- Then find msiexec.exe, installer.exe, and setup.exe listed under Background Processes.
- Select these processes and end one at a time. LMB on “Remove task”.
- Try opening the error app again.
Clean Boot Windows
- Open “Start”, write “msconfig”, press enter.
- In the “General” tab, select “Selective startup”, uncheck the “Load startup items” checkbox, then “apply” and “ok”.
- Go to the “services” section, put a checkmark in front of “Do not display Microsoft services” and click on the “Disable all” field. We save.
- After the actions, you will be prompted to restart your computer. We accept. This should fix the error.
To return “everything as it was”:
- Click “Start”, in the “Start Search” field, enter msconfig and click enter.
- Select Normal Startup, click Apply and OK.
Running Windows System File Checker
- Open “start” and enter “command line”, right-click, run as administrator.
- We enter “sfc / scannow“ in the command line window and press Enter.
This will start checking the system command line file, which will take some time.
Manually reset Windows update components
- Run Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Enter the following commands in turn, waiting for a while after each operation. After entering, press Enter for each command.
- net stop wuauserv;
- net stop cryptSvc;
- net stop bits;
- net stop msiserver.
Now rename the SoftwareDistribution folder by entering the following commands:
- ren C: WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old;
- ren C: WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old.
Restart the update components that you stopped earlier in step 2. Completely repeat step 2, but now instead of the word stop we write start. Example: “net start wuauserv”. Close Command Prompt, restart your PC and check if the error is gone. If the problem persists, contact
or reinstall Windows.