Convert numbers to words in excel: Microsoft Excel is often used for accounting and other purposes that require the specification of amounts. In some documentation, the sums of numbers must be duplicated in words, which causes difficulties for the authors of spreadsheets, because manually writing each number in letters is not the fastest task.
In this article, I’ll demonstrate how to speed up this process by importing a custom function. You can also use this guide as instructions for importing any other Excel add-ins.
Searching for an add-on file
First you need to find the file itself, which will contain the function of automatically converting the numerical amount into words. I can’t suggest a specific site as such files are not officially distributed. I recommend that you use a search engine and enter the query there “Download NUM2TEXT.xls” . Choose the site that inspires you the most confidence and download this add-on from there.
For the most part, almost all such sources are safe, since the XLS file is quite difficult to infect with a virus or disguise it, since you will not be running it manually, but directly in Microsoft Excel. More often than not, users simply click on the wrong “Download” button , which actually downloads malware in the form of an installer. Be careful and make sure that you really downloaded the file that you see in the previous screenshot.
Even before opening, you can use the VirusTotal online service to check the file for viruses without downloading an antivirus to your computer. This will help to protect yourself even more in case of doubts about the reliability of the received add-on.
Importing an add-in into Microsoft Excel
Now let’s touch directly on the main process, on which the success of the operation depends. The downloaded add-in file needs to be imported and made so that Excel recognizes the new function and allows you to use it correctly. This task will only take a couple of seconds, and you just need to follow my instructions.
- After starting Microsoft Excel, go to the “File”tab .
- In the menu on the left, find the “Options”item and go to the program settings.
- You will need a section with the appropriate name “Add-ons”.
- In it, go to the selection of a new add-on, which is the previously downloaded file.
- In a new window, click Browseto open the File Explorer window and select a file from it.
- Once the new window is displayed, locate the “NUM2TEXT.xls”object that you downloaded yourself and double-click on it to confirm your selection.
- If the function name appears in the list of add-ons, then all the steps have been completed correctly and you can click OK to save the changes.
This completes the import process successfully. I repeat that the addition of other add-ons is approximately the same, if you suddenly got into this article just to deal with this issue, having a file of another purpose in hand.
How to convert the numbers into words
It remains only to demonstrate to you how the interaction with the newly added function is carried out. However, you only have to find it by name, and there should be no difficulties with the syntax, since it is as simple as possible.
- Select an empty cell where the amount should be written in words. Call up the function control menu by clicking on the button with the corresponding icon.
- Be sure to select the category “Full alphabetical list”and find there a function called “Amount_in words” . You can also declare it yourself by entering this name after the = sign in the cell.
- Enter the amount in the number that you want to convert to the alphabetic version.
- If it is already in a separate cell, indicate its number and pay attention to how the function will process the information and in what form it will be displayed in the new cell.
- Confirm the changes and see what happens in the end.
It should be taken into account that such custom functions do not always work correctly. During testing, I did not have any difficulties, all the options for the amounts were correctly translated into words. However, be sure to check the inscriptions, especially in working papers. Correct errors and remove what was translated incorrectly, if you suddenly need it.