Quite often, users need to change the properties of images, in particular, reduce JPG (JPEG) files on their computer. The user needs to compress digital photos or other types of images.
JPEG (JPG) is one of the most popular bitmap formats for saving images. This graphic format saves photos and pictures with the file name extensions “.jpeg”, “jpg”, “jpe”, “jfif”. The format has been developed in other modifications, for example, JPEG 2000.
The JPEG compression algorithm compresses images with or without loss – lossless JPEG. The format itself is initially compressed, it is widely used for storing photos on users’ devices or for using images on the Internet.
In some cases, it may be necessary to reduce the JPG (JPEG) size in order to optimize images:
- It is necessary to reduce the amount of space occupied by files on the user’s device (desktop PC, laptop, tablet or phone).
- Individual files are very large and overkill to send to a website or email.
To solve this problem, several methods are used:
- reducing the size of the image in width and height;
- trimming around the edges (cropping):
- Some reduction in the quality of a photo or picture during processing.
In this article, we will look at how to reduce the size of a JPG (JPEG) file in several ways. In some cases, it is enough for the user to resize the image in pixels or crop it around the edges, removing unwanted areas in the photo, and in other cases, it is necessary to reduce the JPG file without changing the size of the original image.
These instructions will show you how to reduce the size of a JPG file on your computer using built-in or third-party software. When using another optimization method, you can reduce JPG (JPEG) online using web applications on the Internet.
How to Reduce JPEG Photos in Paint
The free graphic editor Paint is built into the Windows operating system, with which you can perform simple image processing operations. In particular, this tool can be used to reduce the size of an image both horizontally and vertically.
A way to reduce the size of a JPG by changing the image size ratios horizontally and vertically:
- Open the photo with Paint .
- The app’s bottom bar shows the width and height in pixels, and the size of the given image in kilobytes.
- On the Home tab of the ribbon, in the Image group, click the Resize and Skew (Ctrl + W) button.
- In the Resize and Skew window, in the Resize section, select the appropriate option: “Percentage” or “Pixels” to reduce the resolution of the JPG.
- Set the desired value, and then click on the “OK” button. By default, the “Keep aspect ratio” item is activated so as not to distort the original image.
- Enter the “File” menu, save the modified file on your computer in JPEG format.
As a result, the image size will be resized horizontally and vertically to a smaller side, respectively, we will be able to slightly reduce the weight of the JPG (JPEG) file.
Similar manipulations with photos can be carried out in other third-party programs or on online services.
How to reduce the weight of a JPEG photo in RIOT
RIOT (Radical Image Optimization Tool) is a free program designed to optimize images of some graphic formats. The application supports saving the processed image in JPEG, PNG, GIF formats.
Open the image in RIOT. To do this, use the “Open” button or simply drag and drop a photo into the application window.
Depending on the resolution of the original file, RIOT may offer to resize the image horizontally or vertically. You can agree with this or leave the photo settings unchanged.
The program interface uses two windows in which the original and optimized images are compared for changes. In the window on the right is the original photo, and on the left is the optimized image. Above the pictures is the file size before and after optimization.
By moving the slider along the “Quality:” scale, you change the quality of the original photo to the desired state. The percentage of compression is displayed next to the scale. When setting the compression percentage, be guided by the quality of the optimized image.
In most cases, this will be enough to get an optimized image with suitable parameters.
The user can change the default RIOT settings. In the “Chroma subsampling:” option, you can select the compression mode. In the “Encoding” parameter, the encoding mode “Standard optimized” or “Progressive” is selected.
At the bottom of the program window are the Metadata tabs, from where you can remove image metadata, and Image adjustments, in which brightness, contrast and gamma are adjusted.
Keep in mind that all these changes affect the final size of the image.
After completing all the settings, in the RIOT program window, click on the “Save” button to save the thumbnail image to your computer.
How to reduce the weight of a JPG file in FileOptimizer
FileOptimizer is a free program for optimizing files of various types in a large number of graphic and text formats. The program works in Russian.
Go through the following steps:
- In the open FileOptimizer window, drag the files you want to optimize into the list, or use the “File” menu for this. The window shows the original size of the image.
With default settings, the application reduces the file size without losing quality. If you need a higher compression ratio, then you need to change the parameters of the program to reduce the quality of the JPG.
Enter the “Optimization” menu, click on the “Settings” item. In the “Settings” window, open the tab with the name of the format, in our case – “JPEG”. Check the box next to “Enable Lossy Optimization”. Save the settings changes.
- Right-click on the file name in the program window, and select “Optimize All” from the context menu.
- After encoding is completed, the FileOptimizer window will display information about the size of the optimized file.
How to Reduce JPGF Size Online at Compressjpeg.com
Compressjpeg.com is a free service where you can reduce a JPG file online. The site supports the optimization of files of several graphic formats.
The web application on the Compressjpeg.com service allows you to compress up to 20 images at a time.
Do the following:
- Click on the “Upload” button to add JPG or JPRG files to the server, or drag and drop files from your computer to a dedicated area.
- Image optimization in progress.
- Click on the “Download all” button to get the processed files in a ZIP archive to your PC.
If you need to manually change the compression quality, click on the image to open the settings panel.
A window will appear on the panel with two windows showing the original file and the compressed file. By moving the slider on the scale, select the appropriate setting option. The image can be zoomed in or out to see the applied changes in more detail.
Files are stored on the service for 1 hour, after which they will be deleted.
How to Reduce JPG File Size Online on TinyJPG
TinyJPG (TinyPNG) is a popular Chinese image optimization service. This tool is often used by webmasters to reduce the weight of images added to sites. By reducing the weight of images, providing faster loading of web pages on the Internet.
Optimization of JPG or PNG files is performed automatically without any user settings. With free use, you can process up to 20 images at a time with a total size of up to 5 MB.
The process of encoding graphics on TinyJPG takes place in two stages:
- Drag and drop pictures into a special field or click on the appropriate button. Immediately after adding images, the process of compressing images automatically starts.
- After processing, click the “download” link to download the PC file, click the “Save to Dropbox” button to send to Dropbox cloud storage. When you click on the “Download al” button, all images in the ZIP archive will be downloaded to the device if you used batch processing.
The box below shows the compression percentage of the original images.
How to reduce JPG photo on IMGonline
IMGonline is a service where you can reduce the quality of JPG online. The site has many different tools designed to work with graphic files.
On the IMGonline service, you can independently adjust the degree of optimization of a graphic image.
Do the following:
- Click on the “Browse” button to add a file from your computer.
- If you are satisfied with the default settings, click the OK button.
You can apply the following options to reduce the file size:
- Reduce the size in megapixels.
- Change the quality of color transitions.
- Select “Standard JPEG” or “Progressive JPEG”.
- Preserve or remove EXIF and other metadata.
- Set the quality percentage for the finished image.
The page with the result of compression contains information about the work done and links to download or open the processed image.
Compress JPG files on iLoveIMG
iLoveIMG is a service for working with images. The resource has various tools for performing image processing.
Go through three steps:
- Add one or more files by dragging an image from your computer, using the “Select Image” button, select files from Google Drive or Dropbox cloud storage.
- Click the “Compress Images” button.
- Download compressed images to computer, save them to Google Drive, Dropbox, share them by URL. Then you can continue working with this image using other tools of this service.
The page shows how much the original image has been scaled down.
For various reasons, users need to downsize a JPG image in order to optimize the large size image. Most often, this is necessary for uploading to sites on the Internet or for more rational storage of files on device disks.
You can use software on your computer or web applications on the Internet to reduce the size of “JPEG” or “JPG” files. In the first case, the files are processed on the user’s computer, and in the second case, on the online service, without the use of specialized programs on the PC.