Not all files can be used by applications on your computer to open by default, such as the HEIF Graphics File Format (HEIC) for example. Newer iPhones and iPads now take pictures in HEIF (High Efficiency Image Format) format and save image files with the HEIC (High Efficiency Image Coding) extension.
This format, with all its advantages, is not native to Windows, but you can convert HEIC to JPG fairly easily using standard Windows tools or third-party applications.
A HEIC photo takes up very little storage space compared to other image formats with the same quality. When viewing HEIC images on Windows, there may be difficulties, so the user needs to convert HEIC to JPG.
If you have the HEIC format, converting to JPG will allow you to easily open this image on any device because it is one of the most common image formats.
There are several ways you can use to convert an image from HEIC to JPG:
- Convert HEIC to JPG on computer.
- Convert to another graphic format online.
In the first case, you need a HEIC to JPG converter – a program on your computer that can convert photos from HEIC to JPG on your device. Another method is to use a service on the Internet where you can convert HEIC to JPG, but you can read more about this in another article.
In this guide, we will show you how to convert HEIC to JPG on a computer using built-in Windows applications or third-party programs. The instructions can be used on Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 operating systems.
Convert HEIC to JPG in Photos app
Windows 11 and Windows 10 operating systems have a built-in photo viewer called the Photos app. After installing the appropriate extensions to the system, you can view or edit the HEIC format with this program, and save the image in JPEG or other format.
To get HEIC format support in Windows 10/11, you must first install the “HEVC Video Extensions” extension on your computer, and then “HEIF Image Extensions”.
Use the instructions from another article on the site to install the HEVC codec on your computer for free.
After installing the HEVC extension, do the following:
- Go to the extension page in the Microsoft Store: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/heif-image-extensions/9PMMSR1CGPWG .
- Install the extension on your PC.
After that, you can easily open HEIC images with Photos, Paint, Paint 3D in Windows 10 or Windows 11, and then convert them to various graphic formats including JPG (JPEG).
Go through the steps:
- Right click on the HEIC file.
- In the context menu, first select “Open With”, and then “Photos”.
- Tap the three-dot menu icon at the top of the Photos app.
- Select “Save As” from the menu that opens.
- In the “Save” window, in the “File type:” field, change the file format to “.jpg” or “.jpeg” (these are extensions of the same format) to convert hake to jeep.
- Click on the “Save” button.
How to Convert HEIC to JPG in Paint
The Paint graphics editor is included with the Windows operating system, and if it is not there, then you can install it from the Microsoft Store. You can open and edit HEIC files directly through Paint, as well as save them in various graphic file formats.
To convert HEIC photo format to JPG with Paint, do the following:
- Open the HEIC file in Paint.
- Enter the “File” menu.
- From the context menu, click Save As, then JPEG Image.
How to convert HEIC format to JPG in CopyTrans HEIC
The freeware CopyTrans HEIC for Windows was designed to help Windows users use HEIC images in Windows 7 and Windows 8 (Windows 8.1). These operating systems do not support HEIC, but thanks to CopyTrans HEIC you can view images in this format on your computer, or convert photos from HEIC to JPG.
On Windows 10 and Windows 11, the CopyTrans HEIC app can be used as a plug-in to allow you to open HEIC files with the standard Windows Photo Viewer, which can be enabled on those systems. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (Windows 8) operating systems default to Windows Photo Viewer, which can open a *.heic file.
Do the following:
- Open the program website: https://www.copytrans.net/copytransheic/ .
- Install the application on your computer. After installation, the CopyTrans HEIC program is integrated into the context menu.
- Right click on the HEIC image.
- Select “Convert to JPEG with CopyTrans” from the context menu to convert HEIC format to JPG.
The processed file is saved in the same location as the original file. With CopyTrans HEIC you can batch convert images.
How to convert HEIC files to JPG using XnView
XnView is a free image viewer that has tools for editing and processing files of a large number of graphic formats. The XnView MP version of the application allows you to open the HEIC format without the use of third-party tools.
Do the following:
- Open the HEIC photo in XnView.
- From the “File” menu, click on the context menu item “Save As …”.
- In the Explorer window, select “File Type:” – “JPG – JPEG / JFF”, and then click “Save”.
HEIC to JPG conversion in IrfanView
IrfanView is a free advanced image viewer. Along with the program, a large package of plug-ins is distributed that increase the functionality of the application.
IrfanView can be used to batch convert HEIC to JPG.
Go through several consecutive steps:
- From the “File” menu, click “Open…”.
- In the “Open” window, in the file type, select “HEIC / AVIF – High Efficiency Image Format”, and then select the desired image and click “Open”.
- Enter the “File” menu after opening the photo in the program window.
- Click on “Save As…”.
- Next to the window for saving the file, a window with options for saving to JPG will open on the right, in which you can select additional options before saving this image to a PC.
- In the “Save image as …” window, you need to select the file type “JPG – JPG / JPEG Format”, and then save it to your device.
On Apple devices, photos are saved in the HEIC (HEIF) format, which is not supported by default in Windows. To use images on different types of devices, it makes sense to convert the original format to a more common one, such as JPG format. In this case, you need a program to convert HEIC to JPG on your computer. You can use the built-in Windows applications, after installing the necessary extensions, or third-party software.