In this guide, we will analyze how to remove Alice from a computer or phone completely, or how to disable Alice in a browser, computer or phone. Many users encounter Alice on their devices, not everyone likes the intrusiveness of this Yandex application.
Alice voice assistant was created by Yandex, which acts as a virtual assistant for smartphone and computer users. Alice is built into Yandex search, Yandex.Navigator, Launcher, Yandex.Browser in mobile and desktop versions.
Alice is ready to help the user in different situations: answer a user’s question, go to a certain site, check literacy, get directions, suggest a piece of music being played, find out the news, what time it is, etc. This is a pretty good set of functions designed to help users.
Along with the positives, some users experience discomfort from the intrusiveness of the app in some situations. In addition, from a privacy point of view, using a voice assistant is not the best option to maintain your privacy. It is possible that it is no coincidence that this voice assistant was popularly nicknamed “Major Alice”.
If the assistant is enabled on the device, after clicking on the icon on the Windows taskbar, a window will open with a greeting: “Hi, I’m Alice’s voice assistant.” Another option: the user independently launches the voice assistant with the phrase: “Listen, Alice.”
There are two ways to limit the use of Alice on the device:
- remove Alice permanently;
- disable Alice for a while.
In the first case, Alice’s voice assistant will be removed from the laptop or desktop computer. In the second case, Alice will be disabled on the device for a while until the user starts the application again on their own.
In the instructions of this article, we will look at how to completely remove Alice from a computer or Android phone, or how to disable Alice for a while on different devices.
How to remove Alice from a computer completely in Windows
First, let’s see how to remove Alice from Windows in operating systems: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10. With this method, the removal of the application is the same in different versions of the OS.
To remove Alice from a laptop or desktop PC, follow these steps:
- Enter the Control Panel (read here how to enter the control panel in Windows 10 ), select “Programs and Features”.
- In the “Uninstall or change a program” window, find the “Alice Voice Assistant” application.
- Select the program, right-click on it, select “Delete” in the context menu.
How to remove Alice voice assistant from a computer in Windows 10
In the Windows 10 operating system, you can uninstall Alice in another way by going through a few steps:
- From the Start menu, launch the Settings app.
- In the “Options” window, enter “Applications”.
- In the “Apps and features” section, find the “Alice Voice Assistant” program.
- Left click on the application name.
- Click on the “Delete” button.
- In the warning window, agree to remove the voice assistant from the computer.
If the user is not satisfied with the removal of programs using the Windows operating system, use the help of a specialized program – an uninstaller.
How to disable Alice on the computer
If the voice assistant is not needed by the user at the moment, it can be disabled.
- Right-click on the Alice icon located on the Taskbar.
- In the context menu that opens, select “Turn off Alice”.
After that, the program icon will disappear from the Windows Taskbar.
How to disable Alice in Yandex Browser – 1 way
The voice assistant is built into Yandex Browser, the program can be launched directly from the browser window. The application icon is displayed in the lower left corner of the main Yandex web page.
To disable Alice in the browser, you must enter the Yandex Browser settings.
- Click on the “Yandex Browser Settings” button (three bars in the upper right corner).
- In the context menu that opens, select “Settings”.
- On the “Settings” page, in the “Tools” tab, there are parameters for the Yandex voice assistant.
- In the “Voice assistant Alice” option, uncheck the boxes next to the items “Enable voice assistant Alice” and “Enable voice activation with the phrase “Listen Alice””.
If necessary, you can re-enable these options in your browser settings to launch the Alice Yandex voice assistant.
How to disable Alice in the browser – 2 way
The second way to disable the voice assistant is from another Yandex Browser settings tab:
- Enter “Yandex Browser Settings”.
- Select Add-ons from the context menu.
- In the “Yandex Services” section, in the “Alice Voice Assistant” option, move the switch to the “Off” position.
How to remove Alice from Android phone
Now I will tell you how to remove Alice from Android. I will show the process of deleting an application using the example of a “clean” Android 9 Pie operating system.
Apply the following settings:
- Enter “Settings”, select “Apps & Notifications”.
- In the list of programs, find the Yandex application.
- Click on the Yandex app icon.
- In the “About the application” window of Yandex, click the “Delete” button. If the application is installed by the device manufacturer and cannot be uninstalled, click the “Disable” button.
How to disable Alice on Android in Yandex Browser
Many users use Yandex Browser on their smartphones instead of the Yandex application to save battery power more, because this is a less “gluttonous” option.
To disable the voice assistant, follow these steps on your mobile device:
- Open Yandex Browser on your phone.
- In the lower left corner of the screen, click on the three vertical dots.
- In the menu that opens, click on “Settings”.
- In the list of options, find “Voice capabilities”.
- In the Alice Voice Assistant window, enable the Do not use voice radio button.
The Alice voice assistant feature will be disabled in the Yandex browser.
In the case of using Yandex programs on their devices, users are faced with the Alice voice assistant, which is built-in or installed with some Yandex programs. If Alice annoys you with intrusive messages, you can remove the application from your computer or smartphone, or turn off the voice assistant for a while, until you need this assistant again on your phone, PC or Yandex Browser.