How to see the frequency of RAM ? If the user is thinking about upgrading or increasing the physical amount of memory, he should get an answer to the question of how to find out the frequency of RAM. This indicator affects the speed of the computer.
RAM (RAM, Random Access Memory) has a significant impact on system performance. Physical RAM modules are installed on computers in the form of strips inserted into special slots on the motherboard.
In order for the system to work quickly, the PC must have a sufficient amount of RAM. One of the most important indicators of RAM is the frequency at which this device operates.
The higher the frequency, the faster the processing of information. Therefore, it is important for the user to know the specifications of the RAM modules in order to select the correct hardware in case of a computer upgrade or to make the right choice before inserting additional RAM modules.
Before replacing or installing additional motherboard memory sticks, make sure that this module is supported by the technical specifications of the motherboard and CPU.
In general, you can find out the supported frequency by the model of the RAM module, by reading the memory markings, find information on the Internet, look in the BIOS or UEFI of the computer using specialized software.
It is worth paying attention to the following indicators: the maximum nominal frequency and the actual current memory frequency. How to find out the maximum frequency of RAM?
In the technical characteristics of models, they usually indicate the maximum possible frequency at which a given memory module can operate. The Windows system tools show the nominal frequency of the memory. Specialized programs provide information about both indicators: the nominal and current frequency of RAM.
In this article, we will look at where to look at the frequency of RAM in a running Windows operating system, as well as using specialized software.
How to find out the frequency of RAM in Windows 10
On the Windows 10 operating system, you can view the RAM frequency using Task Manager, Command Prompt, or Windows PowerShell. Let’s see how to do it in visual mode to get the necessary information.
Go through the steps:
- Right click on the Taskbar.
- In the context menu, click on the “Task Manager” item.
- From the Task Manager window, go to the Performance tab.
- In the left column, highlight the “Memory” option.
- In the parameters of RAM, in the “Speed” indicator, the memory frequency is indicated in MHz (megahertz).
How to find out the frequency of RAM in Windows using the command line
You can get the necessary information about the computer’s RAM using the built-in tool – the Windows command line. This method works on all versions of Windows.
Do the following:
- Launch Command Prompt on your computer.
- In the command line interpreter window, enter the command:
wmic memorychip get BankLabel, Capacity, DeviceLocator, MemoryType, TypeDetail, Speed
- Press the “Enter” key.
The CMD window will display various information about the computer’s RAM, including the frequency in the “Speed” column.
This PC has two RAM modules operating in dual-channel mode at the same frequency.
To see only the memory frequency without other indicators, use the following command:
wmic memorychip get Speed
How to view the frequency of RAM on Windows in PowerShell
The operating system has a more powerful tool than the command line – Windows PowerShell. Using this system tool, you can get the necessary information about the frequency of the RAM of this computer in different versions of Windows.
- Open Windows PowerShell on your computer.
- In the shell window, enter the command:
Get-WmiObject win32_physicalmemory | Format-Table Manufacturer,Banklabel,Configuredclockspeed,Devicelocator,Capacity -autosize
- Press “Enter”.
The “Configuredclockspeed” column shows the frequency of the RAM modules on this computer.
How to see the frequency of RAM in CPU-Z
CPU-Z is a free utility designed to monitor the current performance of the central processor and other important computer hardware components. Using the program, you can find out the nominal and actual frequency at which the RAM modules of this computer operate.
Do the following:
- Download the CPU-Z program from the developer’s official website: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html .
- To download on a PC, select the regular installation version and the portable version of the application.
- Install or run the program from a file corresponding to the bitness of your Windows (32-bit or 64-bit).
- In the CPU-Z window, in the “Memory” tab, in the “Timings” group, in the “DRAM Frequency” option, the frequency for this RAM module (channel) is displayed.
- Open the “SPD” tab, in the open slot section, the “Max Bandwidth” parameter shows (in brackets) the maximum bandwidth (actual RAM frequency in MHz).
How to find out at what frequency the RAM works in AIDA64
AIDA64 is a powerful program that provides information about the computer’s hardware and system properties, and to perform tests on the device’s hardware status.
You will need to do the following:
- After collecting and analyzing information about the device, the AIDA program window will open on the desktop
- In the tree side column, in the “Menu” tab, open the “Motherboard” section, and then “SPD”.
- The application window will display information about the RAM module selected in the program window.
- In the “Memory Speed” parameter, the actual frequency in megahertz is displayed in brackets.
In addition, there is a lot of other information about this memory module.
How to see what frequency is on RAM in Speccy
Speccy is a free program for getting detailed information about PC hardware. The application provides extensive information about the various components of the device.
Go through a few steps:
- Launch the Speccy program on the computer.
- In the main window of the application, open the “RAM” tab.
- In the “Memory” section, in the “DRAM frequency” option, the frequency of the RAM is shown in MHz.
For more information about the characteristics of individual RAM modules, in the “SPD” option, click on one of the connectors. You will see detailed information about a specific RAM module in the application window.
How to find out the supported frequency of RAM in SIW
SIW (System Information of Windows) is a program for obtaining information about the software and hardware of a computer. In the program you will find a large amount of information about the operating system and PC hardware.
Do the following:
- Open the SIW program on your computer.
- Under Hardware, select Memory.
- In the central part of the “Properties” program window, in the “Device Locator” option, in the “Speed” parameter, the nominal, and in parentheses, the actual frequency of the memory module operating in dual-channel mode are indicated.
In order to speed up the device, users replace or install additional memory modules on the computer. One of the most important indicators that affect the speed of work is the frequency of RAM. Users can obtain the necessary information about the frequency of memory on a given computer using Windows system tools or specialized third-party applications.