Some documents created with the Microsoft Word word processor use semi-transparent watermarks, which are usually displayed on a page with text content. By inserting a watermark (watermark) into a Word document, various functions are performed: copy protection, uniqueness, or disclaimer.
Watermarks are often installed on samples of forms, applications, instructions, and other standard documents. In some cases, the watermark serves as a vulture, or acts as an organization’s logo, etc.
If a user receives such a document, then he has a logical question about how to remove watermarks in Word. He needs to remove watermarks in Word in order to use a “clean” document for his own purposes.
A document with an embedded backing may be needed to print on paper, or to perform other necessary actions: filling out a form or editing. In this case, the substrate is not needed, the watermark must be removed from the pages of the Word document.
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to remove the watermark in Word in several ways that work in versions of MS Word 2019, MS Word 2016, MS Word 2013, MS Word 2010, MS Word 2007.
How to remove a watermark in Word – 1 way
Now we will analyze how to remove watermarks in Word inserted into a document in the usual way. In different versions of Word, the menu items differ in names, I will indicate the correct actions suitable for the corresponding versions of the program.
In Word 2019 word processor, do the following:
- In a Word document, go to the Design menu.
- In the Page Background group, click the Watermark button.
In Word 2016 and in Word 2013, follow these steps:
- In an open Word document, go to the “Design” menu.
- Click on the Watermark button located in the Page Background group.
In Word 2010 and Word 2007 versions, you will need to do the following:
- Open a Word document, go to the “Page Layout” menu.
- Click on the Watermark button in the Page Background group.
A menu window will open with standard templates for inserting watermarks into a document.
- Scroll down the open menu, in the context menu, click on the “Delete background” item.
After that, watermarks will be removed from all pages of the Word document.
How to remove watermarks in Word document – 2 way
In some cases, a picture (image, drawing, photograph) inserted as a page background is used as a substrate. For a picture inserted on a document page through the “Insert” menu, the “text wrapping” – “behind the text” option was selected. This picture is used as a watermark and is located behind the text of the document.
In this case, in order to remove the watermark, you will need to proceed differently:
- Double-click at the top of the Word document page.
- This will open the Header area.
- Move the mouse cursor over the watermark image to select the background (the background will be highlighted with dots along the border of the image).
- Press the keyboard key “Delete” (Del).
- The watermark will be removed from the Word document page.
- Click the “Close Header Window” button.
Now the user can continue working with the document, which no longer has watermarks.
When working in a text editor MS Word, in documents that have a substrate, the user is faced with the question of how to remove a watermark in Word. To remove the background (watermark), you can use two methods, depending on how it was inserted on the pages of the document.