Many users have difficulty answering the question of how to open Device Manager on a computer. The fact is that during the normal operation of the Windows operating system, the absence of any problems with drivers or peripheral devices, the user does not need to know anything at all about the presence of the Device Manager on the computer.
When failures occur in the operation of the operating system or equipment, users have to look for answers to questions about the causes of the incident by searching the Internet. Among the answers, there are often tips to look at some information in the Device Manager.
- How to open Device Manager using the Run command
- How to open Device Manager from the command line
- Launching Device Manager in Windows PowerShell
- Opening Device Manager from the Computer Management window
- Launching Device Manager from System Properties
- How to open Device Manager from Control Panel
- How to open Device Manager using search
- How to open Device Manager in Windows 10
- How to open Device Manager in Windows 8.1
- How to open Device Manager in Windows 8
- Launching Device Manager from the Windows Folder
- Article Conclusion
The management console includes the Device Manager snap-in, which lists installed devices, allocated resources, and drivers. The Device Manager displays information about devices, from here you can manage drivers, enable or disable devices.
With the help of special icons (in the form of question or exclamation marks) displayed opposite certain equipment, the user is informed about the problems that have arisen in the operation of certain devices. This data helps to identify the cause of a malfunction in the computer.
For example, sound is not working on the computer, or there are problems with other devices. The problem may have arisen due to drivers or incorrect hardware settings. Warning icons in Device Manager help identify problematic hardware. In addition, there you can get technical data about all the devices of the computer.
If there are no warning information icons in Device Manager, then all of the computer’s devices are working properly.
How to open Windows Device Manager? Novice users can easily cope with this problem. There are several ways to enter the Device Manager directly from the operating system. Most of the methods are suitable for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 operating systems.
How to open Device Manager using the Run command
In this way, you can open the Device Manager in Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10.
To launch Device Manager, follow these steps:
- To launch the “Run” window, press the “Win” + “R” keyboard keys at the same time.
- In the “Open” field, enter the command: “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes), and then click on the “OK” button.
- After that, the “Device Manager” window will open.
How to open Device Manager from the command line
Using the command line, you can open the Device Manager by entering the same command as in the previous case. If you don’t find Command Prompt in its place in Windows 10, read this article.
Launch the command line in any convenient way, for example, by entering the expression: “cmd” (without quotes) in the “Search in Windows” field.
In the command line interpreter window, enter the command: “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes), and then press the “Enter” key.
Next, the Windows Device (Hardware) Manager window will open.
Launching Device Manager in Windows PowerShell
Device Manager is easily launched in Windows PowerShell using a similar command. Launch PowerShell, enter the command: “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes), and then press the “Enter” key.
Opening Device Manager from the Computer Management window
This method for opening the Task Manager works in all Windows operating systems.
With the default operating system settings, there is no “This Computer” icon on the Desktop (My Computer, Computer). Therefore, most users, for ease of use, add the “My Computer” icon to the Windows Desktop on their own. Read here how to do it.
- Right-click on the “This PC” icon (My Computer, Computer).
- In the context menu, click on the “Management” item.
- In the “Computer Management” window, in the “Computer Management (Local Computer)” section, in the “Utilities” list, click on “Device Manager”.
In other ways, you can enter “Computer Management” from the “Start” button menu by selecting the “Manage” menu item, or using the “Run” dialog box, after executing the command: “compmgmt.msc” (without quotes).
Launching Device Manager from System Properties
In order to use this method, you need the “This Computer” icon (My Computer, Computer) on the Desktop.
- After right-clicking on the “This PC” icon (My Computer, Computer), select “Properties” from the context menu.
- In the “System” window that opens, click on the “Device Manager” item.
How to open Device Manager from Control Panel
An easy way to access Device Manager is by using the Windows Control Panel interface.
- Access the Control Panel from the Start menu (in Windows 10, in the Search Windows field, type “control panel”).
- In the “All Control Panel Items” window that opens, in the “Small Icons” display mode, select “Device Manager”.
How to open Device Manager using search
A very easy way to open Device Manager on a computer is by using the search function from the Start menu in the Windows operating system.
In Windows 10, the search is located on the Taskbar, next to the Start button. However, the search in Windows 10 can also be launched from the Start menu. Right-click on the Start menu, select “Enter”.
- Type “device manager” into the Windows search box.
- Launch Device Manager on your computer.
This method works on all Windows operating systems.
How to open Device Manager in Windows 10
In the Windows 10 operating system, it is very easy to launch the Device Manager directly from the Start menu.
After right-clicking on the Start menu, select Device Manager from the context menu.
Device Manager on Windows 10 will open.
How to open Device Manager in Windows 8.1
The Start menu was added to the Windows 8.1 operating system, which has the ability to launch the Device Manager snap-in.
To call the Device Manager, you need to right-click on the “Start” menu, and select “Device Manager” in the context menu that opens.
Another way: press the “Win” + “X” keys, and in the window that opens, launch the Device Manager.
How to open Device Manager in Windows 8
The Device Manager, in the Windows 8 operating system, can be accessed using the keyboard keys.
After simultaneously pressing the “Win” + “X” keys, a window will open in which you need to click on the “Device Manager” item.
After that, Device Manager will be opened on the Windows 8 desktop.
Launching Device Manager from the Windows Folder
Finally, I will tell you about another way. If previous attempts fail, you can try opening Device Manager directly from the Windows operating system folder.
- Log in to the system drive “C:”, open the “Windows” folder, and then the “System32” folder.
- In the “System32” folder, find the devmgmt utility (devmgmt.msc), and then double-click the left mouse button on the application.
The Windows Device Manager will start on the computer.
In case of problems, in the operating systems Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, the user can open the Task Manager using different methods. Various means of the system will help us with this.