How to disable touchpad on laptop. Let’s see how to disable the touchpad on a laptop to turn off the touchpad while working at the computer, in case of using a computer mouse on the device. Touchpad (TouchPad) – a touch device in the case of a portable PC – a laptop that performs the functions of a computer mouse.
The touchpad in laptops is used to control the cursor and to execute various commands on the computer. The touchpad is an alternative to the hand-held mouse used on desktop PCs (dextops).
The majority of users, for greater convenience, use a mouse on laptops: a wired one connected directly to a computer, or a wireless one connected via an adapter inserted into a USB connector, or having a connection with a PC via a Bluetooth radio module.
In some situations, when working on a computer, or during a computer game, the user accidentally hits the touchpad, because of this, the cursor shifts, and this causes inconvenience. Therefore, users have questions about how to disable the touchpad so that it does not interfere with productive work or play.
There is no danger in deactivating the touchpad functions on a laptop; a disabled touchpad can be re-enabled if necessary.
There are several ways to disable the touchpad in Windows, which differ from each other, depending on the manufacturer of the computer and touch device:
- using the hardware keys on the keyboard;
- in Device Manager;
- in BIOS;
- through the mouse properties settings;
- in the Windows Mobility Center;
- using a third-party program;
- physically disconnecting the touchpad or sticking the touchpad with a dense material.
In the article, we will analyze how to disable the touchpad on a laptop in different ways on the main popular brands of laptop manufacturers: HP, Dell, ASUS, Lenovo, Acer, MSI, Samsung, Sony Vaio.
The article contains instructions on how to disable the touchpad on ASUS, on HP, on Samsung, Lenovo, Dell, Acer, Sony, using hot keys on the laptop keyboard. In most cases, laptops use the Fn function key in combination with one of the F1 to F10 function keys, which must be pressed simultaneously.
Physically disabling or blocking the touchpad
Physically disconnecting the touchpad from the laptop’s system chamber is the most effective 100% method, but also the most inappropriate. Not every user will disassemble a laptop in order to disconnect the cable coming out of the touchpad from the connector on the motherboard.
A similar method: a sticker on the laptop panel on which the touchpad is located, a special plug made of durable material, such as thin plastic. In this case, the cap will protect the touchpad from getting the user’s fingers on it. This is not the best way to solve the problem.
Disable touchpad in Device Manager
Using the Device Manager, you can disable or remove a touch device that acts as a touchpad.
Go through the following steps:
- Open Device Manager in one of the convenient ways.
- Find “Mice and pointing devices” in the list. One of the devices will have the word “TouchPad” in its name, although other options are possible. On some laptops, the touchpad may be located in the “HID (Human Interface Devices) Devices” section.
- Right-click on the device, select Disable Device from the context menu.
If there is no “Disable device” item in the context menu, then the device can simply be removed from the computer. To prevent it from installing again after a system reboot, you must perform the following steps (this method works on older versions of Windows: Professional and Enterprise):
- Launch the Local Group Policy Editor on the computer.
- In the “Local Group Policy Editor” window, follow the path:
Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → System → Device Installation → Device Installation Restrictions
- Open the “Prohibit installation of devices not described by other policy settings” status policy.
- In the “Prohibit installation of devices not described by other policy settings” window, activate the “Enabled” option, click the “OK” button.
- Restart your PC.
Disabling the touch device through the mouse properties settings
Most laptops use Synaptics touchpad models. In this case, you can use the mouse properties settings to disable the touchpad.
Do the following:
- Open Windows Control Panel .
- In the “All Control Panel Items” window, click on the “Mouse” item.
In Windows 10, you can use another way to access the settings: from the Settings application, open Devices, go to the Touchpad tab, in the Related Settings section, click on the Advanced Settings link.
- In the Mouse Properties window, go to the Device Settings tab. The touch device is displayed here – the touchpad.
- Click on the “Disable” button and then on “OK”.
If you want to always disable the touchpad when the mouse is in use on the laptop, perform the following setting:
- On the Device Settings tab, click the Settings button.
- In the touch device properties window, check the box next to “Disable internal pointing device when external pointing device is connected” or “Disable internal pointing device when external pointing device is connected to USB port”.
- Click on the “OK” button.
A similar method is used when using ELAN models.
Some laptops have special programs designed to control the touchpad, created by the computer manufacturer.
Disabling the touchpad in BIOS or UEFI
In some situations, you can use an effective way: disabling the touchpad in the BIOS or UEFI. When using this method, you will not be able to turn on the touchpad again from the Windows operating system, you will need a new entry into the BIOS settings to change the settings for turning on the touchpad.
Follow these steps:
- Enter the BIOS when the computer boots up using the appropriate keyboard keys.
- Use the arrow keys to navigate to the appropriate tab to disable the touch device. Depending on the BIOS version, the options for disabling the touchpad may be in different tabs, for example, in the Advanced or Boot tabs.
- The parameter itself may be called “Touch Pad Mouse”, “Internal Pointing Device” or similar. Navigate to the desired parameter, press the “Enter” key.
- Select the “Disabled” option, press the “Enter” key.
- Save the new BIOS or UEFI settings by pressing the “F10” key.
To enable the touchpad on a laptop, you will need to enter the BIOS settings again to enable the “Enabled” parameter in the touchpad settings.
How to disable the Dell touchpad through the Windows Mobility Center
Dell laptops have an add-on built into the Windows Mobility Center that allows you to disable the touchpad. There is a special button that disables the touchpad.
Do the following:
- Right-click on the battery icon located in the notification area (system tray).
- In the context menu that opens, click on “Windows Mobility Center”.
- In the Windows Mobility Center window, in the Configured by Dell Inc. area, in the Touchpad option, click the Turn Off button.
Turn off the touchpad using a third-party program Touchpad Blocker
The user can block the touchpad using third party software. A program installed on the computer disables the touchpad.
The free Touchpad Blocker program blocks the touchpad when accidentally pressed. After installation on a computer, the program is registered in Windows startup.
The “Block accidental taps and clicks” setting is responsible for blocking the touchpad if you accidentally press the touchpad. In the application settings there are options to set the blocking time, pop-up messages.
Using hotkeys, you can enable or disable the touchpad lock (“Ctrl” + “F9”), and on computers with Synaptics touchpads, you can enable or disable the touchpad (“Ctrl” + “Alt” + “F9”).
How to disable the touchpad on an HP laptop
On some HP laptops, you need to double-tap on the left edge of the touchpad. On other HP devices, you will need to hold your finger on the left edge of the touchpad for 5 seconds. Usually, this is the area highlighted on the panel.
How to disable the touchpad on ASUS
On ASUS laptops, use the “Fn” + “F9” keys to disable the touchpad. On some models, other keyboard shortcuts are used: “Fn” + “F7”, and sometimes: “Fn” + “F6”, “Fn” + “F3”. In most cases, a crossed out touchpad is drawn on the function key.
How to disable the touchpad on a Lenovo laptop
Lenovo laptops of various series use the “Fn” + “F6” or “F6” keys (icon with a crossed-out touchpad). On older models, the Fn + F8 or Fn + F5 keys can be used.
How to disable the touchpad on a Dell laptop
To disable the touchpad on Dell laptops, software methods are often used (see above in the article). On some models, there is a separate button designed to disable the touchpad, or use the “Fn” + “F5” keys.
How to disable the touchpad on an Acer laptop
On Acer laptops, to disable the touchpad, use the Fn + F7 key combination.
How to disable the touchpad on a Sony Vaio laptop
On Sony Vaio laptop models, the Fn + F1 keys are used to disable the touch device. Sony computers have the “Vaio Control Center” app installed, which allows you to control the touchpad.
How to disable touchpad on MSI laptop
On MSI laptops, disabling the touchpad is done using the “Fn” + “F3” keys.
How to disable touchpad on samsung laptop
On Samsung laptops, the most commonly used keys are “Fn” + “F5”, as well as “Fn” + “F10”, which turn off the touchpad.
In some situations, the user needs to disable the touchpad – the touch pad for cursor control on the laptop. This can be done using hot keys, in the BIOS, in the operating system settings, using third-party programs.