When working on a computer in the Windows operating system, after some time, software and hardware errors accumulate that prevent the stable operation of the device. These could be minor glitches or more serious failures.
To deal with this situation, you need to fix Windows 10 errors in one way or another. As a result, fixing Windows 10 errors will help you solve the problems that have arisen on your PC.
Problems with the stability of the system, installed software, and computer hardware occur in different cases:
- due to incorrect actions of the user himself;
- due to exposure to viruses that disable system functions or modify software;
- due to internal OS and application errors;
- due to changes in the parameters of the PC equipment;
- for other reasons.
The user needs to solve the problem of eliminating malfunctions that interfere with the normal use of the computer. Troubleshooting Windows 10 problems is solved in several ways, depending on the severity of the situation.
Fixing Windows 10 System Errors
In the best case, you can fix Windows 10 errors using the built-in troubleshooter, designed to solve common problems that occur on your computer. At the user’s request, this tool first detects a possible problem and then automatically fixes the problem.
Unfortunately, the use of a system tool does not always lead to a positive result. In this case, you need a third-party program designed to fix Windows 10 errors.
In particular, you can use the free FixWin 10 application. This program was developed by Paras Sidhu for the well-known website The Windows Club.
In most cases, the Windows error correction utility will allow you to solve the most common problems in one click of the mouse.
It should be taken into account that, depending on the severity of the problem, it is not always possible to solve the problem related to the stable functioning of the operating system, software or PC hardware. In this case, the user will have to independently make more serious changes to the system or reinstall Windows.
You can download FixWin 10 from the official website of The Windows Club. The download link for the application is located at the bottom of the web page with the description of the program.
Please note that you can download the Windows Error Fixer for other versions of the operating system. FixWin 2.2 is for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8, while FixWin 1.2 is for Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
FixWin 10 is a portable program that runs in English. This tiny application runs from a folder that you can place anywhere on your computer.
How to use Fix Win 10
After downloading the program to a PC, you need to unpack the ZIP archive using an archiver program or use the system’s built-in tool for this. In the unpacked folder, click on the application file to launch the program.
The FixWin 10 program window will appear on the screen, opened in the Welcome tab. Here are the main features of this computer. Below are links to run the necessary system tools:
- System File Checker Utility – launches a tool for checking system files SFC.exe.
- Create Restore Point – Create a Windows restore point.
- Re-Repair Store Apps – Re-register apps from the Microsoft Store using
- Repair Windows System Image – Repair Windows system image using DISM.
These operations can be launched directly from the FixWin 10 program window, or performed independently using the built-in tools of the operating system.
Before using FixWin 10, the following workflow is suggested:
- Run a system file check using the SFC.exe tool.
This action will help you detect possible problems and then restore the state of corrupted system files.
- If your PC is having issues with apps from the Microsoft Store, reset and re-register the apps using Windows PowerShell.
This will allow you to reinstall corrupted apps from the Microsoft Store or restore the Windows Store to work.
- If your computer is experiencing severe OS issues, restore the Windows image using the DISM.exe utility from the Component Store.
This action is used only in case of really serious problems with the operating system.
- Before performing work to fix problems on your device, create a system restore point.
In the event that the problem has not been resolved, and other problems have appeared on the computer, you can restore the operating system to a previous state from a previously created restore point.
On the left side are sections of the FixWin application designed to solve specific problems. In the right part of the window there are items and buttons with the help of which the necessary actions are taken to correct a specific problem.
Do the following:
- Open the desired section in the program.
- Select an issue that exists on your computer.
- Next to the description of the problem, click the button with a question mark.
- In the window that opens, you can read the description of this problem and its solution, or the default browser opened on TheWindowsClub will open with a solution.
- Click on the “Fix” button to fix it.
- Restart your PC.
Due to the fact that the program has an English interface, it will be difficult for some users to use the application. Therefore, we have translated into Russian the names of the FixWin 10 tools, which you can find below.
File Explorer – Fix File Explorer Options
The “File Explorer” section contains tools for fixing problems related to Windows Explorer:
- Recycle Bin icons is missing from Desktop – The Recycle Bin icon is missing from the desktop.
- WerMge.exe or WerFault.exe Application Error. The instruction at the referenced memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program – WerMgr.exe and WerFault.exe error resulting in a memory lock.
- File Explorer Options is missing from Control Panel or has been disabled by administrator or malware
- Fix Recycle Bin when its icon doesn’t refresh automatically – Fix Recycle Bin when its icon doesn’t refresh automatically.
- Explorer doesn’t start on startup in Windows – Explorer doesn’t start at startup
- Thumbnails not showing in File Explorer – Thumbnails not showing in File Explorer.
- Reset Recycle Bin. Recycle Bin is corrupted – Reset the Basket. The cart is damaged.
- CD drive or DVD drive isn’t recognized by Windows or other programs – The CD/DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs.
- ”Class not registered” error in File Explorer or Internet Explorer
- ”Show hidden files, folders and drives” option isn’t shown in Folder Options
- Recycle Bin is grayed out in Desktop Icon Settings on Windows 10 – Recycle Bin is grayed out in Desktop Icon Settings on Windows 10.
Internet & Connectivity – Internet setup and connection problems
In the “Internet & Connectivity” section, there are malfunctions related to the Internet settings and network connection:
- Right Click Context Menu of Internet Explorer is disabled – Internet Explorer right click context menu is disabled.
- Cannot connect to internet. There’s some problem in Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) – Unable to connect to the Internet. There is some problem in the protocol (TCP/IP).
- Problem regarding DNS resolution. Fix it by clearing DNS resolver cache – Resolution issue Fix it by clearing DNS resolver cache.
- Long list of failed and installed updates. Clear Windows Update History – Long list of failed and installed updates. Clear update history
- Problem with Windows Firewall settings. Reset Windows Firewall Configuration – Firewall settings problem Reset Windows Firewall configuration.
- Reset Internet Explorer To Default Configuration – Reset Internet Explorer settings to default.
- Runtime errors are appearing in Internet Explorer while surfing – Errors appear while surfing in Internet Explorer.
- Optimize Internet Explorer maximum connections per server to download more than two files at the same time – Optimize Internet Explorer for the maximum number of connections per server to download more than two files at the same time.
- Internet Options are missing in Settings under ”Advanced” tab of ”Internet Options” dialog box – Internet Options are missing in the Advanced tab of the Internet Options dialog box.
- Difficulty connecting internet? Repair Winsock (Reset Catalog) – Having trouble connecting to the Internet? Restore Winsock (Reset directory).
- Telnet is not recognized as an internal or external command – Telnet is not recognized as an internal or external command.
Windows 10 – Troubleshooting System Errors
The “Windows 10” section is designed to solve problems that arise in the operating system. This section has two tabs “Windows 10” and “Windows Store”.
The Windows 10 tab contains a solution to the following problems:
- Windows Component Store Is Corrupt. Repair it using Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) – The component store is corrupted Repair it using Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM).
- Reset settings app. Settings doesn’t launch or exit with error – Reset application settings. Settings does not start or fail.
- Disable OneDrive. OneDrive runs in background and may sync large amount of files – Disable OneDrive runs in the background and may sync a large amount of files.
There are two buttons here: “Fix” – to disable OneDrive, and “Revert” – to re-enable cloud storage.
- Start Menu doesn’t open or doesn’t work in Windows 10 – Start Menu doesn’t open or work in Windows
- Wi-fi doesn’t work after upgrading to Windows 10 – Wi-Fi doesn’t work after upgrading to Windows 10.
- Windows Updates stuck downloading updates after upgrading – Windows Updates stuck downloading updates after upgrading.
- There are multiple entries of OneDrive in File Explorer – There are multiple OneDrive entries in File Explorer (there are two fixes).
- Windows Sandbox failed to start, Error 0x80070057, The parameter is incorrect
- Windows Update Error 0x80070057 – Windows update error 0x80070057.
- WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x8007019e & 0x8000000d
- Battery Remaining Time Not Visible in Battery Layout – The remaining battery time is not displayed in the battery properties window.
The Windows Store tab shows possible issues with the Microsoft Store:
- Having problem downloading Apps from Store. Clear and reset Store cache – There were problems downloading apps from the store. Clear and reset the store cache.
- The Application wasn’t installed from the Windows Store. Error Code: 0x8024001e – The app was not installed from the Windows Store. Error code: 0x8024001e.
- Windows Store apps not opening. Re-register all apps – Windows Store apps won’t open. Re-register all applications.
System Tools – fix system tools
The “System Tools” section includes for fixing various problems with system tools.
The System Tools tab contains:
- ”Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator” or Task Manager option is disabled – “ Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator” or the Task Manager option is disabled .
- ” Command Prompt has been disabled by your administrator” and can’t run any cmd or batch file
- ”Registry Editor has been disabled by your administrator ”
- Enable MMC Snap-ins. Some disable Snap-ins which prevents Group Policy (gpedit.msc) and similar services to run Some viruses disable snap-ins that prevent Group Policy (gpedit.msc) and similar services from running.
- Reset Windows Search to defaults. This will fix issues related to Windows Search – Reset Windows search to default values. This will fix search related issues.
- ”System Restore has been disabled by your administrator. Please contact your system administrator.” “System Restore has been disabled by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.”
- Device Manager isn’t working properly and not showing any devices – Device Manager doesn’t work properly and doesn’t show any devices.
- Repair Windows Defender. Reset all Windows Defender settings to default – Restore Defender Reset all Windows Defender settings to default.
- Action Center and Windows Security Center don’t recognize installed AntiVirus or Firewall or still identifies old AV as installed
- Reset Windows Security Settings to defaults – Reset Windows security settings to default.
The Advanced System Information tab displays extended system information about this computer.
Troubleshooters – Troubleshooting with Windows Tools
The Troubleshooters section contains buttons for launching Windows system troubleshooting tools.
You can use them from the FixWin window:
- Playing Audio Troubleshooter – Audio Troubleshooter.
- Recording Audio Troubleshooter – Audio recording troubleshooter.
- Power Troubleshooter – Power troubleshooter.
- Printer Troubleshooter – Printer troubleshooter.
- Shared Folders Troubleshooter – Shared folder troubleshooter.
- Homegroup Troubleshooter – Homegroup Troubleshooter.
- IE Performance Troubleshooter is an IE performance troubleshooter.
- IE Safely Troubleshooter – IE Security Troubleshooter.
- Windows Update Troubleshooter – Windows Security Center Troubleshooter.
- Internet Connections Troubleshooter – Internet connection troubleshooter.
- Hardware And Devices Troubleshooter – Hardware and device troubleshooter.
- Incoming Connections Troubleshooter – Troubleshooter for incoming connections.
- System Maintenance Troubleshooter – System maintenance troubleshooter.
- Network Adapter Troubleshooter – Network adapter troubleshooter.
- WMP Settings Troubleshooter – WMP settings troubleshooter.
- WMP Library Troubleshooter – WMP library troubleshooter.
- WMP DVD Troubleshooter – WMP DVD troubleshooter.
- Search & Indexing Troubleshooter – Search and indexing troubleshooter.
You can also download additional tools from the links:
- Mail or Calendar app(s) are crashing – Mail or Calendar is crashing.
- Settings app doesn’t launch or opens Store app instead – The Settings app doesn’t launch, instead the Store opens.
- Printer Troubleshooter to fix specific printer problems – Troubleshooter to fix specific printer problems.
- Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter for those who upgraded – Windows Store Troubleshooter for those who upgraded.
Additional Fixes – additional fixes
In the “Additional Fixes” section, there are two tabs “Additional” and “Quick Fixes” designed to solve the problems encountered.
The “Additional” section has the following fixes:
- Enable Hibernate. Hibernate option is missing from Shutdown options – Enable hibernation mode. The hibernate option is missing from the shutdown options.
- Restore the Sticky Notes delete warning dialog box – Restore the sticky notes delete warning dialog box.
- Aero Snap, Aero Peek or Aero Shake isn’t working – Aero Snap, Aero Peek or Aero Shake isn’t working.
- Fix Corrupted Desktop Icons. Fix and rebuild corrupted icon cache – Fix corrupted desktop icons. Fix and restore the corrupted icon cache.
- Taskbar jumplist is missing or doesn’t store MRU file list
- Notifications have been disabled – Notifications have been disabled.
- Windows Script Host access is disabled on this machine – Windows Script Host access is disabled on this machine.
- Office Documents do not open after upgrading to Windows 10 – Office Documents do not open after upgrading to Windows 10.
- The recovery image cannot be written. Error code – 0x8004230c – The recovery image could not be written. The error code is 0x8004230c.
- Windows Media Player shows the following error: “An internal application error has occurred.” – Windows Media Player shows the following error: “An internal application error has occurred.”
The “Quick Fixes” section contains buttons for quickly fixing problems:
- Reset Group Policy Settings – Reset group policy settings.
- Reset Notepad To Defaults – Reset Notepad to default settings.
- Reset WMI Repository – Reset the WMI repository.
- Reset Winsock
- Reset DNS Cache – Reset cache
- Reset Windows Defender Settings – Reset Defender Settings
- Reset Settings App – Reset app settings.
- Reset Software Distribution Folder – Reset the Software Distribution Folder.
- Reset catroot2 Folder – Reset folder
- Reset Data Usage – Reset data usage.
- Reset Recycle Bin – Reset Recycle Bin.
- Reset Windows Store Cache – Reset Store Cache
- Reset TCP/IP – Reset TCP/IP.
- Reset Windows Firewall Settings – Reset firewall settings
- Reset Windows Update History – Reset Windows Update History
Fixes applied manually:
- Reset Touchpad Settings – Reset touchpad settings.
- Reset Keyboard Settings – Reset keyboard settings.
- Reset WInHTTP Proxy Server Settings – Reset proxy server settings
- Reset Windows Password Settings – Reset password settings
- Reset Edge Browser Settings – Reset browser settings
- Reset and Rebuild Font Cache – Reset and rebuild the font cache.
In the process of using the operating system on a PC, various malfunctions and failures occur, errors accumulate. To solve the problems that arise, you must use the built-in Windows troubleshooting tools or use third-party software designed for this purpose. FixWin 10 will help you fix Windows 10 errors for free.