Many Windows users are faced with the message “This application does not work on your PC.” This feature is called SmartScreen. It is designed to keep the system safe from malware and websites.
The message occurs when Microsoft decides that certain applications will harm your operating system. This sometimes happens by mistake. Let’s look at simple ways to solve the problem.
- Option 1: Download and install the correct version of the apps.
- Option 2: Use an administrator account.
- Option 3: Disable SmartScreen.
- Option 4. Turn on Sideload.
One of the most common reasons for an error message is that you have downloaded the wrong application for your operating system. For example, you are on 32-bit Windows, but you are downloading a program that is compatible with 64-bit Windows. Make sure it meets the requirements of your pc.
Switch from a guest account to an administrator account
- On your keyboard, press Windows + I at the same time.
- Then select “Account”.
- On the left side of the pane, click Family & Other People.
- On the right side, scroll down a little to find the Other People section. Then “Add someone else” on the PC.
- Select “I do not have registration information”.
- Next, “Add a user without a Microsoft account.”
- Finish entering your personal information.
- You should see the created account. Click on it and click Change Account Type.
- Click “Admin”. Save your changes.
- If switching to the new administrator account solves your problem, you will have to transfer your personal files and folders to the new account and use it from now on.
As already mentioned, the program protects against phishing attacks and malware. Disconnection is only a temporary solution.
- Click Win + S to bring up the search box.
- Enter “smart screen” in the search box and search for “Application & Browser Management”.
- Select the “Disable” option.
- You will have to grant administrator permission.
- Try reinstalling the app.
Check if the notification appears. If it reappears, change the SmartScreen filter to Warn status. This prevents viruses and malware from appearing.
Turn on Sideload
This option is recommended for 100% publisher credibility.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key and me at the same time. Then click “Update” and “Security”.
- On the left side of the panel, click Developers. Then click Sideload on the right side.
- The error occurs when you click on the program shortcut – try opening the folder and launching it from there. If it still refuses to work, you will have to reinstall this program.
- You have tried all of the above methods but to no avail – contact customer support.