One of the most popular Office applications is Microsoft Word. This text editor has millions of users, but there are also problems. Users reported that the program has stopped working and gives an error message. The error prevents Word from starting, which interferes with editing and creating new documents. This becomes a serious problem if you want to tackle your school or work program. In this article, we described how to fix this problem.
Repair of office
Repair your Office installation. This is a relatively simple process, follow these steps:
- Click Win Key + S and enter “programs and features”.
- When the window opens, find Office on the list.
- In the top menu, tap “Change”.
- Select the Repair option and click Continue. Be aware that newer versions of Office may have additional options for online repair or quick repair.
- Follow the instructions.
- This solution works for all versions of the program.
To increase functionality and add new features, Word and many other Office tools support add-ons.
- Click Win + R to open the Run dialog box.
Type “winword.exe /” a and press “Enter” or press “OK”. In addition, use the command “winword / safe” to start Word in safe mode.
- Open Word Options.
- Open the Add-ons tab and then disable everything.
Users reported that ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Sprint is a common cause of errors in Word 2016. If you have it installed, be sure to disable it. Microsoft has reported that KingSoft’s PowerWord and Dragon Naturally Speaking add-ons have issues with Office 2013 and 2016. If you are using any of them, we recommend disabling them.
Install the latest updates
Outdated versions have incompatibility issues, so it is recommended that you update them.
- Open any Office application and click “File” in the upper left corner.
- Go to Account> Product Information> Options.
- In the Product Information section, select Update Options.
- Select the “Enable Updates” option. If this option is not available, then automatic installations are enabled.
- Select Update Options again and select Update Now from the menu. Wait while Office downloads and installs updates.
Modify the registry
You have a Word key in your registry – you will have to delete it. Attention! Modifying the registry is potentially dangerous, so please create backups.
- Click Win + R and type “regedit”.
- Press “Enter” go to “ HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice15.0Word” .
- Find the data subsection.
- Delete it.
- Close Registry Editor and try running the program again.
Word will automatically recreate the deleted key and the problem should be resolved.
Removing the old driver
Users have reported that they will have to install the latest printer driver. Visit your printer manufacturer’s website, select your model, and download the latest driver. To remove the current driver:
- Press Winkey + X.
- Next, “Device Manager”.
- Find the printer in the manager and delete it.
Restart your computer and check if the problem is not resolved.
Disable recently installed programs
Third-party applications may interfere with the work of Word. You will have to remove all recently installed software and added hardware.