The clipboard is a logical storage of information that is used between programs and interfaces to exchange some data using special functions: “Paste”, “Cut”, “Copy”. In this article, you will learn in more detail what the clipboard is, as well as where it is located on your PC.
It is important to remember that the clipboard is a very unreliable and temporary data storage. Therefore, when copying important information, do not forget to paste the data in a new location.
- What is clipboard
- Clipboard location in Windows XP
- Storage of information in Windows 7, Vista
- Clipboard History in Windows 10
- CLCL – a program for convenient work with the clipboard
- Comfort Clipboard – copy function manager
- Punto Switcher – a program for saving files and text
- Cleaning the clipboard
- Hot keys when working with text
- Article Conclusions
What is clipboard
In essence, the clipboard is a piece of memory. It saves for a while (until we copy the next file) a specific file, folder, piece of text, to paste it into another document or disk space.
After we have clicked on the function in the “Copy” context menu, the copied information can be pasted wherever possible an infinite number of times. This information will be deleted if you copy another file. The second way to clear the clipboard is to restart the Windows operating system.
Thus, the copied information is stored on the computer for an unlimited amount of time, provided that the computer is not restarted and no other information is copied. Therefore, please be careful with the copied important information.
Clipboard location in Windows XP
If you want to observe what is currently on the clipboard in Windows XP, follow these steps:
- Open the local drive on your computer that contains the operating system.
- Next, open the “Document and Settings” folder.
- After it, in the next window, open the “System32” folder.
If it is more convenient for you to work through the “Run” line, open it by pressing “Win” + “R”, enter the command “clipbrd.exe”, and then press “Enter”.
Location of the clipboard in Windows XP.
- In order for you to recognize the copied file during verification, select a section of text from any text file and click “Copy”.
- Next, run “clipbrd” using any of the suggested options, and you will see your piece of text that is currently on the clipboard.
Thus, this is the place where the clipboard is stored, it is the clipbrd.exe system utility. If you check without copying the text, it’s possible that the buffer won’t have any information. In this case, you will not get any result. You can find out where the clipboard is located on the phone on the site Sdelaicomp.ru .
Storage of information in Windows 7, Vista
The program that is in Windows XP is not available in Windows 7 and Windows Vista. It would be more correct to say that it is, but it will not give you any information and it does not start like any other program.
Clip.exe stores all the information that you copy to the clipboard. We only have information that this file stores the copied files. There are special third-party programs that provide more options and copy settings, such as the Clipdiary program we reviewed earlier .
Clipboard in Windows 7, Vista.
Clipboard History in Windows 10
In the Windows 10 operating system, it is possible to use a special clipboard journal. In the new OS, you can save multiple items to the buffer for convenient work. To do this, press the key combination “Win” + “V”, after which you can view the clipboard history and paste the saved from it to the right places.
Another important addition is the ability to not only view the clipboard and paste a saved item, but also activate synchronization with multiple devices. When you enable this feature, you will be able to sync clipboard data between your devices.
CLCL – a program for convenient work with the clipboard
The first program that is available to users is CLCL. This application does not require installation on a computer.
Among the features of CLCL, pay attention to the following features:
- You can see the pop-up menu by pressing “Alt” + “C”.
- The application supports all popular clipboard formats.
- Pictures that are copied are displayed in the menu.
- The menu has tooltips.
- You can configure which formats will be copied well.
- Plugins are supported.
- The software is absolutely free and free to distribute.
- Support for popular languages and plugin formats and services.
As soon as you click on the program icon on the desktop, the system will minimize it to tray, this is the utility’s workplace. By clicking on the icon in the tray (notification area), you expand the application’s working window and can see all the files that you have copied earlier, as well as configure copying and other program functions.
Program for working with clipboard CLCL.
Comfort Clipboard – copy function manager
For the still quite popular version of Windows 7, there is a special utility for working with copying – Comfort Clipboard. The application supports Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 operating systems.
This program provides users with the following features:
- The software is able to save typed messages in browsers, for example, in chats or letters. They, as a rule, do not have such functions to save the typed text, Comfort Clipboard does this.
- The program is configured in such a way that files are copied to a specific folder that you specify, which prevents the possibility of data loss when restarting or turning off the computer.
- Another distinguishing feature of the program is copying without text formatting, that is, without bolding words, slanting, underlining, etc.
- Copying HTML text and pasting it in the same HTML format by clicking the corresponding item in the program.
Clipboard program Comfort Clipboard.
The program has support for popular languages, various themes for customizing the interface, support for copy history. Comfort Clipboard Pro is available as a single user license for 990 rubles.
Punto Switcher – a program for saving files and text
Another manager for Windows, which has a wider customization than previous programs and works in all versions of Windows. You can copy up to 30 fragments and files, which are then available through the program’s action history. The program also allows you to save files and text fragments even after a system reboot or when setting some menu items.
To do this, configure the application:
- Open the settings of the Punto Switcher program.
- Select the checkboxes “Keep clipboard history after Windows restart” and “Monitor clipboard”, click “OK” to save the settings.
- To access the history, right-click and select View History.
Punto Switcher settings window.
The software is currently available for non-commercial use. The program is owned by Yandex.
Cleaning the clipboard
In most cases, as already mentioned, the clipboard does not need to be cleared. It will be cleared after restarting the computer or will be replaced when the next file is copied.
When copying information, it is temporarily stored not on the hard disk, but in RAM, which explains the disappearance of the copied files after a reboot (RAM is completely erased when the computer is turned off from power).
But there are times when large files were copied, for example, a folder with photos or videos. In this case, the memory is heavily loaded and when using resource-intensive programs or games, the computer may not be able to cope with the task (since the RAM is full), and in some cases even freeze.
To prevent this, you need to clear the clipboard in one of two ways:
- restart your computer;
- copy one word or sentence from any text.
Hot keys when working with text
When working with text, it is very convenient to use hotkeys. The “Cut” function acts like “delete” + “copy”, that is, the word or file that you cut will disappear from the current document and be placed on the clipboard.
Using the Windows Explorer menu to work with the clipboard.
The main ways to copy or paste information in Windows:
- To cut, press “Ctrl” + “X”.
- To select all text in a window or all objects, use the “Ctrl” + “A” keys.
- To copy the text to the clipboard, press “Ctrl” + “C”.
- Finally, to paste the copied text or object into a new window, press “Ctrl” + “V”.
So we answered the question, what is the clipboard and where is it located on your PC.
While working at a computer, users often need to copy or paste information that needs to be moved in documents or programs. In the Windows operating system, this role is performed by the clipboard. Users can use the built-in functions of the system tool or use the services of third-party software – special applications for working with the clipboard.