Netio.sys is a file that participates in Windows network entry and exit. This means that the file is necessary for the computer to work with the Internet. Removing, disabling, or modifying this item may cause the network card to stop working. The blue screen of death in Windows due to the netio.sys file does not always indicate some kind of terrible problem, quite often it can be fixed on your own with minimal skills.
Most often, one of the following problems provokes a failure:
- incorrect operation of Internet virus protection systems, Avast, AVG, Malwarebytes, McAfee, Zone Alarm have been noticed in this;
- intervention of torrent programs;
- damage to network drivers.
How to fix BSOD in Windows 10 due to netio.sys file?
To eliminate the blue screen, you need to do a few relatively simple procedures. They are detailed below.
What should be done:
- Temporarily disable internet protection . If you have any third-party antivirus installed, especially one of the ones described above, be sure to disable it. Usually you can get away with turning off Internet protection in the settings.
- Setting up a torrent . More often, the problem is provoked by BitTorrent, therefore, using its example, actions will be described, but a similar procedure is in analogues. We need to open “Options”, then go to “Settings” and select “Advanced”. We are interested in the “Disk cache” section, in which we remove the flag from the “Enable disk read caching” and “Enable disk write caching” fields. The BSOD should no longer appear.
- Update or reinstall network adapter drivers . The update can be done through Windows Update or directly from Device Manager. The procedure for installing drivers is standard, it makes no sense to describe in detail.
Occasionally, you may need to perform a system scan using the sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f /r /x commands . In most cases, the solution is to disable Internet protection. After that, the BSOD indicating the netio.sys file should not appear.