How to fix blurry screen windows 10: The Windows 10 operating system displays screen blur when signing in or on the lock screen. The user clearly sees the login (account name), fields for entering a password or PIN, and the rest of the background on the computer screen is blurred.
Starting with Windows 10 version 1903, Microsoft introduced a feature with background blur acrylic effects to focus users on the Microsoft account input fields. It is expected that it will be more convenient for users to enter a password in this way, without being distracted by the background image displayed on the computer screen.
Setting an account (Microsoft account or local account) that does not require a password to sign in also causes background blur on the PC screen.
Not everyone likes it, background blur on the screen can be annoying. Therefore, some users have questions about how to remove screen blur so that the background image is clearly displayed when entering Windows 10.
There are several ways to remove background blur from your lock screen. In the article you will find several instructions in which I will show you how to remove screen blur in Windows 10 in the system settings, using the Local Group Policy Editor and the Registry Editor.
Disable Screen Blur Effect in Windows 10 Settings
This method allows you to remove blur on the monitor screen, but when it is applied, other parameters of the graphical shell of the Windows operating system are affected. In particular, transparency will be disabled in the Start menu and the Taskbar.
Do the following:
- From the Start menu, open the Settings app.
- In the “Options” window, enter the “Personalization” option.
- Open the “Colors” option, in the “Transparency Effects” setting, move the switch to the “Off” position.
After restarting the computer, the background image displayed on the screen when you log in will no longer be blurry.
In order to return the default operating system settings, enter the personalization settings again, move the switch to the “On” position. The background image will become blurry again.
Disable Screen Blur in Windows 10 in the Local Group Policy Editor
Now we will remove screen blur in Windows 10 using the built-in system tool: the Local Group Policy Editor.
To change Windows 10 settings, you need to go through the following steps:
- Press the keyboard keys “Win” + “R”.
- In the Run dialog box, type “gpedit.msc” (without quotes).
- In the “Local Group Policy Editor” window, in the left column “Local Computer Policy”, follow the path: “Computer Configuration” → “Administrative Templates” → “System”.
- Open the “Login” option, look for the “Show a blank login screen” option.
- In the “Show a blank login screen” window, activate the “Enabled” option, and then click on the “OK” button.
After rebooting the PC, the acrylic blur effects on the login screen will be disabled.
To enable the blurry effect on the PC screen, re-enter the “Show blank logon screen” policy setting, switch the value to the “Not configured” option.
How to turn off screen background blur in Windows 10 in the Registry Editor
To disable screen blur effects, you can use the system tool: Registry Editor. This method is suitable for all versions of Windows 10, including home.
Before making changes to the system registry, create a system restore point . If something goes wrong, you can roll back Windows 10 to the state it was in when the restore point was created.
We will need to do the following:
- Launch the Registry Editor using one of these methods.
- In the “Registry Editor” window, follow the path:
- Right-click on an empty space inside the “System” partition.
- In the context menu that opens, select “New”, then “DWORD (32-bit) Value”.
- Name this setting: “DisableAcrylicBackgroundOnLogon” (without quotes).
- Right-click on the “DisableAcrylicBackgroundOnLogon” parameter, select “Edit …” in the context menu.
- In the “Change DWORD (32-bit) Value” window, in the “Value” field, enter “1”, click on the “OK” button.
Now, in Windows 10, when you log in, the background image will be clearly displayed on the computer screen.
To undo changes, enable acrylic blur effects, follow these steps:
- In the registry editor window, follow the path:
- Right-click on the “DisableAcrylicBackgroundOnLogon” option, select “Edit…”.
- In the window for changing the DWORD (32 bit) parameter, change the value of the parameter from “1” to “0”, then click on the “OK” button.
Background image blur effects on the Windows 10 login screen will be enabled again.
In the Windows 10 operating system, the background image on the login screen is blurred to enhance the user’s attention on the fields for entering credentials. If necessary, the user can turn off the acrylic blur effects of the background image on the computer screen. You can do this by applying changes in System Settings, in the Local Group Policy Editor, or in the Registry Editor.