In this guide, we’ll show you how to manually update Windows 11 on a computer with unsupported hardware. Currently, many users have installed Windows 11 or upgraded from Windows 10 on unsupported computers.
Microsoft releases a major Windows update about once a year that makes changes to system settings. On a PC with Windows 11 installed, there is no problem getting the usual cumulative updates that come out about once a month. They are downloaded and automatically installed on your computer as they are released.
There are two problems with the next big update: on supported devices, a major update may not be offered for installation through Windows Update due to sanctions, and if your computer does not meet the system requirements for Windows 11, then a major update cannot be installed manually .
In connection with these circumstances, the question arises, how to update Windows 11 now? There are several options for solving the problem.
If the update does not come to Windows Update, then it is now unclear how to update Windows 11 in Russia and Belarus. On computers with supported hardware, users need to manually download the Windows 11 ISO image to their computer, and then perform a system update from it.
It is much more difficult for users whose computers do not meet the Windows 11 system requirements , because in the usual way it is not possible to update Windows 11 due to an unsupported processor, TPM, secure boot, and so on.
After you run the Windows 11 setup program, you will see a message: “This PC does not meet the system requirements for Windows 11.” You cannot continue the Windows 11 upgrade process.
In this article, you will find instructions on how to update Windows 11 21H2 to 22H2 (or later versions) on a PC that does not meet the Microsoft requirements for Windows 11. You will learn how to update Windows 11 22H2, including in Russia or Belarus, bypassing the check for compliance with the stated requirements.
All proposed actions include two mandatory steps:
- Downloading the original Windows 11 ISO image to your PC.
- Update Windows 11 to the latest version using the ISO file on the desktop.
We will offer you two methods on how to update Windows 11 to 22H2 on unsupported hardware using “MediaCreationTool.bat” tool and “WinPass 11” utility.
Download the latest Windows 11 ISO image to your computer
First you need to download the original ISO image of the Windows 11 operating system to your computer. You can do this in many ways by downloading from the official Microsoft website.
If the Microsoft download site is not available in your country, use a VPN or other methods that you can read about in the article at the link below.
Place the downloaded Windows 11 ISO image on your desktop or in another convenient location on your disk. After that, select one of the suggested methods to update the OS on an incompatible PC.
How to update Windows 11 version using MediaCreationTool.bat
First, we will look at how to update Windows 11 on an unsupported computer using a batch file. In our situation, the PC does not meet the parameters recommended by Microsoft, and the official tool blocks the update of the operating system to the latest version.
Follow these steps to bypass the minimum system requirements for installing Windows 11:
- Open the MediaCreationTool.bat page on GitHub: https://github.com/AveYo/MediaCreationTool.bat .
- Click the “Code” button in the top right corner and select “Download ZIP” to download the archive to your computer.
- Right-click on the “MediaCreationToo.bat-main” ZIP archive and select “Extract All…” from the context menu.
- In the window that opens, select the target folder, click on the “Extract” button.
You can unpack the archive using a third-party archiver installed on your computer.
- In the unpacked folder “MediaCreationToo.bat-main” open the subfolder “bypass11”.
- Right-click on the “Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update.cmd” file and select “Run as administrator” from the context menu.
- If a warning window opens, click the “Run Anyway” button.
- A command prompt window will open, which will automatically close itself shortly after the script is executed.
If the script doesn’t work for some reason, restart your computer and then run it again.
- Right-click on the Windows 11 ISO file, and in the context menu that opens, click Connect.
- In the window that opens, double-click on the “setup” file to start installing Windows 11 on unsupported hardware.
- After executing the script, the “Install Windows Server” window will open, in which you need to click on the “Configure how the installer downloads updates” option.
Ignore the name of the window “Install Windows Server”, it actually installs a regular Windows 11 Pro or Windows 11 Home system, which corresponds to the current version of your PC. The Windows Server Setup tool is used to bypass checks so that we can upgrade the system on non-compliant computer hardware.
- In the Get updates, drivers, and options window that opens, select Not Now. Uncheck the “I want to help make this installation better” option, and then click Next.
- After checking and preparing the system, in the next window, click on the “Accept” button to apply the license terms.
- In the “Select what you want to keep” window, we are offered to save files, settings and applications. Click the “Next” button.
- The “Ready to Install” installer’s final window shows our choice: installing the appropriate version of Windows 11 while keeping files, settings, and apps.
- The computer starts installing Windows During the system update process, the computer will restart several times.
- After the update is completed, the Windows 11 latest version window will open.
How to update Windows 11 to the latest version in WinPass 11
WinPass 11 is a tool to install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware. With the application, you can upgrade from the current version of Windows 11 to the latest version, which became relevant after the release of the big update.
Go through the steps:
- Download the latest Windows ISO to your computer in advance
- Download the WinPass 11 utility from GitHub at: https://github.com/ArkaneDev/WinPass11/releases .
- Run the WinPassexe executable as an administrator.
- In the WinPass 11 application window, first select “Release” and then click “Install”.
- In the confirmation window asking “Are you sure you want to continue? This action cannot be undone, click Yes.
- In the Do you have a Windows 11 ISO image? (If “No” is selected, a 5.2 GB file will be downloaded)” click “Yes”.
- In the Explorer window that opens, select the previously downloaded Windows ISO image on your computer
- The WinPass 11 application will copy the contents of the system image to a temporary folder for a while. Wait for this process to complete.
- In the window with the recommendation “Continue installation in the Windows 11 installer. Important! Please click “Configure how the installer downloads updates”, then select “Not now”. Click OK.
- Windows Installer opens In the Install Windows 11 window, click on the Configure Setup Download Updates option.
- In the Get Updates, Drivers, and Options window, check Not Now, and uncheck the box next to I want to help make this installation better if it is checked. Click on the “Next” button.
- The system is being tested and prepared. In the “Applicable notices and license terms” window, click “Accept” to proceed with the system update.
- In the “Ready to install” window, you will see that the options for installing Windows 11 with files and applications are selected. Click Install.
- Next, the process of installing a new version of Windows 11 will begin, which takes a certain amount of time. During this time, several reboots of the PC will occur.
- Finally, the Windows 11 desktop of the new version will open on the computer screen.
A few tips to fix errors when updating Windows 11
In some cases, the process of installing the latest version of Windows 11 fails due to various reasons.
Follow these guidelines:
- Problems can arise due to corrupted system files in the current operating system. You need to check and repair system files using the SFC.exe utility.
- Make sure you have enough disk space on your computer before performing the upgrade. Windows installation creates temporary files that take up a lot of space.
- Check the disk for errors using CHKDSK to fix bad sectors.
- Temporarily turn off the antivirus so that it does not adversely affect the installation process of the system.
- Disconnect unnecessary peripherals from the computer: USB drives, hard drives, and the like.
After the release of the big Windows 11 update, many users are faced with the fact that it became impossible to update Windows 11 to the latest version on unsupported hardware. Therefore, they have questions about how to update the build version of Windows 11. To fix this situation, use the workarounds using the “MediaCreationTool.bat” or “WinPass 11” tools, which will allow you to update Windows 11 after a major operating system update is released.