In this guide, we will look at how to uninstall AVG antivirus software from the computer, we will analyze the different ways to completely remove the program. We need to uninstall AVG completely so that there are no residual antivirus data left on the PC.
For successful and safe work, antiviruses are deeply integrated into the Windows operating system. Therefore, after removing antiviruses, files, remnants of modules, services, registry entries, etc. often remain on the computer. This can adversely affect the operation of the Windows operating system and installed programs.
Uninstalled data of the old antivirus previously installed in the system may interfere with the installation or normal operation of the new antivirus, other applications and programs, Windows components. Therefore, it is important to completely remove unused antivirus software from your computer.
Major security software vendors have developed specific applications to remove their products from the Windows operating system. Special utilities most correctly remove anti-virus products from the computer, find the remaining files and traces of their programs, and clean up the system from remnants.
Now we will see how to uninstall AVG Antivirus Free from your computer (other AVG products are uninstalled in a similar way). In the article you will find instructions for different ways to uninstall the antivirus: using the Windows operating system, using the AVG Clear or AVG Remover utilities (two applications are used to uninstall AVG products).
How to uninstall AVG antivirus from a computer using a system tool
First, let’s look at how to remove AVG antivirus with the built-in tool of the Windows operating system. This can be done in three ways:
- from the list of programs on the Start menu;
- in the “Control Panel”, in the “Programs and Features” section;
- in the Settings app from the Apps section in Windows
In the article, I show the uninstallation of the antivirus using the Windows 10 operating system as an example. In Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, AVG is uninstalled in the same way.
- Enter the Start menu, find AVG AntiVirus in the list of programs.
- Right-click on the program icon, and select Uninstall from the context menu.
- Log in to Control Panel.
- Select the Programs and Features (Uninstall or change programs on this computer) option.
- Select AVG antivirus, right-click on it, select “Uninstall” in the context menu.
- Enter from the Start menu to the Settings app, select Apps.
- In the “Applications” window, in the “Applications and features” option, right-click on the program.
- Click on the “Delete” button.
- In the warning window, agree to remove the application from the computer. In the window that opens, confirm the UAC (User Account Control) prompt to make changes to the PC.
- The AVG Antivirus installation window will open, in which you need to click on the “Uninstall” button.
The process of removing AVG from the system will begin. After the uninstall is complete, you must restart your computer.
How to remove AVG antivirus completely with AVG Clear
AVG Clear is a program to completely remove antivirus software from AVG. The user needs to download the AVG Clear application from the official website, and then uninstall the antivirus using the program.
The AVG Clear program works in Russian, removes the following antivirus products:
- AVG AntiVirus FREE;
- AVG Internet Security;
- AVG Business Security.
The AVG Clear app removes the antivirus, all other product data: registry keys, user settings, quarantine, installation files, etc.
To remove an antivirus, follow these steps:
- Launch AVG Antivirus Clear.
- After the computer scan is completed, a window will open in which you will be prompted to start the computer in safe mode to continue working with the tool. You must click on one of the buttons:
- Yes – restart the PC, enter safe mode.
- No – remove the antivirus in normal PC mode (not recommended).
- Click on the “Yes” button.
- Close running programs, save the currently used files. Click the “Yes” button to restart your computer.
- After loading the Windows operating system in safe mode, the AVG Clear window will open, in which the directories for removing the antivirus are selected.
- Click on the “Delete” button.
- After that, AVG AntiVirus FREE is uninstalled.
- The product was successfully uninstalled. Some files may remain on the disk until the next reboot. Click on the “Restart Computer” button.
Antivirus removal completed.
How to uninstall AVG Antivirus with AVG Remover
The AVG Remover is designed to remove AVG products if the standard removal fails. We will try to remove AVG Free from the computer.
The AVG Remover program works in English.
Launch the application on PC. In the “AVG Remover” window, click on the “AVG Remover” button.
AVG Remover scans your operating system for AVG products. This operation takes some time, please wait for it to complete.
The program will offer to delete the found folders from the computer. Agree to delete this data.
During the process of uninstalling products, AVG Remover may restart the computer several times, this is a normal situation.
After the antivirus removal is completed, AVG Remover will ask you to restart your computer. Save your work, and then click the “Restart” button to permanently delete the detected data.
If, after uninstalling antivirus software with AVG Remover, the “AVG” and “AVG Remover” folders remain on the computer, you can delete them manually. According to the technical support representative, this is a safe operation.
If a user has a question about how to remove AVG antivirus from a computer, he can use the help of special utilities created by the antivirus software manufacturer. AVG Clear and AVG Remover scan your computer for AVG products and then completely remove AVG Antivirus from your Windows operating system.