How to hide text in Word. When working with the Microsoft Office software package, in some situations the user may need to make hidden text in Word. This means that in a Word document, hidden text is not visible when reading or printing, as if it were not there.
In addition to text, you can make tables, graphs, images, or other elements inside a document hidden. In the Word text editor, you can hide text or other elements by using formatting marks.
Essentially, hidden text is standard text with formatting marks applied. Therefore, anyone who can edit this document has the ability to access hidden objects and be able to display them.
If it’s not a security measure, then why not just remove some of the text from the Word document? The fact is that invisible text in Word is used for several purposes.
Why do you need to hide part of the text in Word
When sharing a document with others, you can hide parts of the text so that they only see the part in the document that they need to view. In this way, you can make some paragraphs, objects, or hide your notes invisible.
You can remove some pieces of text from a document by hiding them for printing. As a result, you will distribute to others a paper version of the document without hidden text, and you will have the full version of this file.
When using the print feature, you can hide images, graphics, or other embedded objects in a Word document to save consumables such as printer ink or paper.
When you print a document, hidden items will not be printed on the paper and they will not appear on the computer screen.
In this article, I will talk about how to make hidden text in Word in several ways, as well as how to display hidden text in Word or remove it completely.
How to make text invisible in Word – 1 way
The easiest way to hide text is to set the letter color of the hidden fragment to white, which is no different from the background color. This is not a canonical method, but it has the right to exist, because this method is often used by users.
To increase privacy, you can additionally reduce the font so that the void is not conspicuous if an invisible piece of text is in the middle of the document. If you use a similar method when printing, hidden text will not be visible on paper.
Do the following:
- Highlight the piece of text you want to hide in your Word document.
- On the Home tab, in the Font group, click the arrow on the Font Color button.
- Select white from the Theme Colors dropdown menu.
- After applying the setting, the text fragment will become invisible, because it has the same color as the background.
You can change the font size by preselecting the hidden passage to reduce the spacing between paragraphs where the hidden text is.
After that, the invisible text will become invisible. If the reader is unaware of the operation performed, then he will visually notice almost nothing.
How to remove invisible text in Word
To return everything as it was, perform the reverse steps:
- Highlight a place with invisible text in a Word document.
- Set the default font color.
If you have changed the font size, then first select this fragment, and then set the value of the font size that is used in this document.
How to hide text in Word – 2 way
There is another more convenient way to hide text from prying eyes, which should be used when working in the Microsoft Word text editor.
Go through a few steps:
- Open a Word document.
- Select the text that you want to make invisible.
- On the Home tab, click the arrow in the lower right corner of the Font group.
- In the Font window, on the Font tab, in the Modify group, check the Hidden option.
- Click on the “OK” button.
The hidden text will disappear in the Word document window as if it was never there.
How to make hidden text in Word – 3 way
This option is similar to the previous one, only it greatly simplifies this operation, because “hot keys” are used instead of several mouse clicks.
Do the following:
- Highlight a piece of text in a Word document.
- Press “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “H” at the same time.
- As a result, the hidden text will disappear from the document.
Printing hidden text in Word
Normally, when you print a Word document, the hidden text will not be printed on the sheet of paper. In some cases, users need to print the contents of a document along with hidden elements.
Go through the steps:
- Enter the “File” tab.
- Click on the “Options” button.
- In the “Word Options” window, go to the “Display” (“Screen”) section.
- In the “Print Options” option, check the “Print Hidden Text” checkbox.
- Click on the “OK” button.
As a result of applying these settings, when printing in Word, hidden text appears on a paper sheet.
How to remove hidden text in Word – 1 way
If in the future the function of hiding objects is no longer needed, it is necessary to bring the contents of the document to its original form with all the elements included in it. Let’s see how to see hidden text in Word.
You need to do the following:
- In the open MS Word file window, go to the “Home” tab.
- In the Paragraph group, click the Show All Characters button. You can use an alternative option – press the keys “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “8”.
- The document will display all non-printing characters, including hidden text, which will be underlined.
- Select hidden text.
- Click the arrow in the Font group.
- In the Font window that opens, click the Font tab.
- In the “Modify” section, uncheck the “Hidden” option, and then click on the “OK” button.
How to remove hidden text in Word – 2 way
This method will help when you need to remove hidden text in an entire Word document that may have many pages.
To show hidden text in Word, you need to do the following:
- Press the “Ctrl” + “A” keys to select the entire contents of the document.
- Press the “Ctrl” + “D” keys.
- In the “Font” window, in the “Font” tab, uncheck the “hidden” box.
How to remove hidden text in Word
This method will help remove all hidden text from a Word document. Before performing this operation, take care to save a copy of this document, because this is an irreversible function that completely removes hidden objects from this file.
Do the following:
- From the “File” menu, go to the “Details” section.
- Click on the “Find Issues” button (“Search for Issues”), and in the drop-down menu on “Check Document” (“Document Inspector”).
- In the warning window, save or refuse to save a copy of the document.
- In the Document inspector window, clear all checkboxes except Hidden Text.
- Click on the “Check” button.
If there are hidden objects in the document besides text that need to be removed, also activate the “Invisible Content” item.
- In the next window, click on the “Delete All” button.
- Close the Document Inspector.
All hidden text has been removed from this Word file.
When working with documents, there are situations when you need to use the little-known features of a text editor, for example, learn how to hide part of the text in Word. The user can use several methods to solve this problem. In addition, you need to know how to show hidden text in Word or remove hidden content from a document.