How to grow a pumpkin in Minecraft: Pumpkins are an interesting crop that can be grown in Minecraft. They are unique in that they grow differently from most crops. There are a few quirks to understand before planting seeds. Pumpkins can be crafted into snow golems/iron golems, worn on the head, traded with villagers, pumpkin lanterns, and pumpkin pie. In this guide, you will learn what materials are needed to grow a pumpkin in Minecraft, how to grow a pumpkin in Minecraft, and the ins and outs of growing.
Materials needed to grow pumpkins in Minecraft
- Pumpkin seeds;
- Hoe (any type);
- Bucket with water;
- Bone meal (optional)
First of all, to grow a pumpkin, you will need pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin seeds can be found in many ways: from chests in dungeons, mines, villages, and forest mansions. Pumpkins can naturally spawn in the earth world in almost any grass biome. You can also find pumpkins at robber outposts.
To grow a pumpkin, you will need to cultivate the land. Any type of hoe will work for this. Higher quality material does not increase yield, but only increases the durability and durability time of the hoe itself. Use any consumable.
While pumpkins don’t technically require water or moist soil, it’s best to develop the habit of moistening your fields to be more efficient. This also ensures that you don’t lose pumpkin seeds.
Finally, while bone meal is optional, you can use pumpkin seed bone meal to speed up the process. Bonemeal will not make the pumpkin grow faster, but you may miss the time it takes for the stem to grow.
How to Grow Pumpkins in Minecraft
1. First of all, find a pumpkin for pumpkin seeds. There are many different ways to find a pumpkin or pumpkin seed. Whether you choose to go looking for pumpkin seeds in a chest, raid some villages for their pumpkins, or randomly stumble upon a pumpkin in a grassy biome, you will need to get pumpkin seeds.
If you find a whole pumpkin, you can use the crafting menu to turn the pumpkin into pumpkin seeds.
2. Having received pumpkin seeds in the preferred way, you can start growing pumpkins. First, consider where you want your pumpkin garden to be. It is worth noting that pumpkins do not grow like other crops. That is, the pumpkins will not grow on the same block that you planted the seeds on, instead they will grow next to the stem. Make sure you have one open contiguous space block (if you want rows of pumpkins) or all four open contiguous space blocks (if you want fast growing pumpkins).
3. However, as soon as you have decided on the land, start working the land with a hoe. Just right click with your hoe to create farmland.
4. Then you need to place a water source block nearby to moisten the farmland. This ensures that farmland doesn’t go bad on its own and you can grow as many pumpkins as you want.
5. After you have filled in the water, you can plant the pumpkin seeds in the farmland. Right click on pumpkin seeds selected on the field. It’s also important to note that the block you want your pumpkins to grow on must be grass, coarse dirt, farmland, or dirt blocks.
6. After planting pumpkin seeds, you can optionally use bone meal to speed up the process. Select bonemeal from your hot bar and right click pumpkin plants to make them grow faster. Below you can see the different maturity levels of the gourd stem.
7. When the pumpkin stems are fully ripe, it remains only to wait. Do not crush stems with bones after they have reached full maturity. This will not speed up the growth of the pumpkin itself. It’s also worth noting that pumpkins require a light level of 10 to create. Place torches close by or some glowing rock over the stems themselves to provide enough light for the pumpkins to grow.
That’s all you need to grow pumpkins in Minecraft.
- The block adjacent to the stem of the gourd must be dirt, coarse dirt, farmland or grass in order to grow.
- A light level of 10 is required to successfully create pumpkins. Torches will provide a light level of 14, decreasing by one for each block from the torch.
- An infinite number of pumpkins can grow on a single stem if you break a pumpkin that has grown from a stem. You never have to replace the stem unless you break it yourself.
- Bonemeal only increases the growth rate of the stem, not the pumpkin itself.
Why aren’t my pumpkins growing in Minecraft?
Make sure your pumpkin has at least one open contiguous space around the pumpkin stem. You also need to make sure that the block adjacent to the gourd stem is dirt, coarse dirt, grass, or farmland. Any other block will not produce pumpkins. Also make sure that there is enough light in the first place for the pumpkins to grow, the light level should be 10. If all these conditions are met, you just need to be patient.
How often do pumpkins grow in Minecraft?
It takes 10 to 30 minutes for each gourd stalk to grow. This is either half a day of Minecraft to 1.5 days of Minecraft. You can cut the timer closer to 10 minutes if you leave all 4 adjacent blocks open. Pumpkins often fail to grow if the block they are trying to grow on is invalid, resetting the internal timer. If you have at least one open adjacent spot, the pumpkin will grow over time.
Pumpkins are rarer than diamonds in Minecraft?
Absolutely not. Pumpkins are actually quite common. If you bet on whether you find pumpkins or diamonds first, you will almost always find a pumpkin before you find a diamond, barring any odd occurrences.
Congratulations, now you know what you need to grow a pumpkin in Minecraft. They can be relatively finicky to grow, especially when compared to other crops in the game. Their use is relatively limited, but you can use pumpkins to trade or make pumpkin pies. You can even use them purely for their cosmetic value. Knowing the ins and outs of pumpkin cultivation can help you plan how you cultivate your world.