Error 0x000007b appears when launching various applications on Windows. The following message is attached to the error:
Error starting application (0x000007b). To exit the application, press the “OK” button.
Typically, the error is caused by corrupted or missing Microsoft Visual C++ libraries. However, in more rare cases, outdated graphics drivers can cause an error. It’s also important to note that 0x000007b is essentially the same as 0xc000007b, so you can safely use the tips below to fix the latter.
Solution to error 0x000007b
Reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++
- Press WIN+S on your keyboard to bring up the system search bar.
- Type in the query “Control Panel” and select the result you found.
- Go to “Programs and Features” (change the view mode to large or small icons).
- Find all versions of Microsoft Visual C++ library packages in the list of installed programs and remove them via RMB or the “Delete” button.
- Restart your PC.
- Download the required Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Libraries packages from the official Microsoft website that are appropriate for your version of Windows OS.
- Install the libraries and restart your PC again.
Update graphics drivers
- Right-click on the Start menu and select “Device Manager”.
- Expand the “Video adapters” section and find your video card there.
- Right-click on it and select “Update Driver”.
- In the new window, select the option “Automatically search for drivers”.
- Alternatively, you can manually install the required drivers using the following links:
After reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ and installing the latest video drivers, error 0x000007b should disappear.