Some mobile device owners want information on how to find out the version of Android installed on their phone or tablet. Such information may be useful in some cases.
The Android operating system is widely used on phones, tablets, laptops, TVs, smart watches, fitness bracelets and other devices. The vast majority of smartphones in the world run on the Android system.
Why they ask the question: how to find out which version of Android is installed on a mobile device
The Android OS is constantly evolving, new versions appear regularly, new functionality is added, and changes are made to existing parameters. Versions of the operating system differ from each other, sometimes quite noticeably.
The main reasons why a user wants to get information about the current version of Android:
- The desire to know information for reference purposes is simply getting data about the OS version.
- To install the device firmware on your own – before doing the work, you need to find out the installed version of Android.
- Information is needed about the compatibility of the OS version with programs or games – some applications support installation and operation on a device starting from a certain version of Android.
Based on this, users have questions about how to find out the version of Android on a phone or tablet. Both types of devices use the same methods to obtain information.
In this article, you will find instructions on how to find out about the version of Android OS installed on your phone or tablet. We will receive information by means of the operating system or with the help of third-party applications. The Google Play store has a large number of applications suitable for our task that can be installed on a mobile device.
How to find out the Android version with a system tool
The easiest way: get the necessary data in the settings of your phone or tablet. Depending on the version of Android and the add-on installed from the device manufacturer, the path to obtaining the necessary information may differ slightly on different devices.
In this example, we will look at obtaining information about the version of the operating system on a “clean” version of Android 9 Pie, running without various shells.
Do the following:
- Enter “Settings”.
- Tap on “About phone” or “About tablet”.
- Among other options, the version of Android installed on your smartphone or tablet will be displayed.
After clicking on the “Android Version” item, a window with detailed information about the version of the operating system will open.
If, for some reason, the user was unable to obtain information about the Android OS version using a regular tool, he can use the help of third-party software. Third-party apps should be used in cases where some Chinese manufacturers display the OS version of their add-on rather than the version of Android running on the device.
How to find out what version of Android is on the phone in AIDA64
The AIDA64 program is the most powerful tool for obtaining complete information about the computer, it has a software version for mobile devices. The AIDA64 app can be downloaded from the Google Play Store at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.finalwire.aida64 .
The app works on Android 4.2 and above devices.
Go through the following steps:
- Launch AIDA64 on your mobile device.
- In the “AIDA64” window, click on the “Android” item.
- The “AIDA64 / Android” window will open with OS version information and other system information.
How to Check Android Version on Geekbench
Geekbench is an application for testing the speed of the device, conducting system performance tests. You can install Geekbench on your phone at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.primatelabs.geekbench5 .
The app works on Android 7.0 and above devices.
Take the necessary steps:
- Open Geekbench on your phone or tablet.
- In the application window, in the “Your Device” section, in the “OS” item, information about the Android version will be displayed.
How to find out which version of Android is installed in CPU X
The “CPU X: System and Hardware Information” application displays information about the technical characteristics of the mobile device. The CPU X program is on the Google Play Market at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.abs.cpu_z_advance .
The application works on Android versions 5.0 and higher.
Go through the steps:
- Launch the CPU X application on the device.
- In the “Device” window, click on the “Memory” button.
- In the Memory window, look for the Operating System section, which shows information about the current OS version.
Android Version Information in Device Info HW
The Device Info HW application provides information about the hardware and features of the phone. Device Info HW can be downloaded to your smartphone using this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=en.andr7e.deviceinfohw .
The application works on Android system versions 4.0.3 and higher.
Do the following:
- Open the Device Info HW app on your phone or tablet.
- In the main window of the application, the “General” tab will open with basic information about the mobile device. Here you can find information about the installed system.
How to find out the OS version on Android in Phone information (Information about the phone)
The Phone information app is used to track and provide device information. The program is available for download at the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inpocketsoftware.andInfo .
The app runs on Android 4.4 or higher versions.
Go through the following steps:
- Launch the Phone Information app on your smartphone.
- In the application window, click on the “Phone information” button.
- In the “Information about the phone” window, in the “Operating system” section, there is information about the version of Android.
Find out the Android version in Sys-I (Android System Info)
The Sys-I (Android System Info) application provides detailed information about the system and hardware of the phone. You can download and install the app from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bryancandi.sysi .
The program works on devices running Android 6.0 or higher.
Do the following:
- Open the Sys-I (Android System Info) app on your mobile phone.
- In the “Operating System” section, information about the version of the Android OS will appear.
In some cases, the user needs to know the version of the Android operating system installed on the phone or tablet. You can get information about the OS version from the phone settings, or using third-party programs that you need to install on your mobile device from the Google Play store.