Microsoft has added the News & Interests widget to the Windows 10 operating system, which appears on the Taskbar. OS developers are trying to introduce various innovations into their systems, which they consider convenient for computer users.
Thanks to this, the user does not need to use additional programs or devices to get the necessary information. The News & Interests widget on the taskbar displays stories with dynamic content.
In this article, you will learn what the News & Interests widget is, how to enable News & Interests on the OS, and how to disable News & Interests on the computer.
How to turn on News & Interests in Windows 10
News and Interests on the taskbar appears in the Windows 10 operating system after installing the optional cumulative update KB5001391. If your PC does not have this widget, then it is possible that this application is not installed on your device yet.
After installing the update, the weather and news panel will automatically appear on the taskbar of the operating system. If this did not happen, or you previously disabled this functionality, you can manually enable the display of the widget from the taskbar settings.
To display a widget in Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Right click on the Taskbar.
- In the open menu, move the mouse pointer to the “News Interests” item.
- In the second menu, click on one of the options: “Show Icon and Text” or “Show Icon Only”.
News & Interests Widget in Windows 10
The feature is integrated into the operating system and is closely linked to the Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser that powers the news feed. Without this browser on your computer, the widget will not work correctly in Windows 10.
The News & Interests panel is located on the right side of the screen near the notification area. At default settings, the taskbar displays an icon representing the current state of the weather and explanatory text with temperature showing degrees Celsius (°C) or Fahrenheit (°F), depending on the user’s choice.
You can change the appearance options of the widget on the taskbar. To do this, do the following:
- Right click on the Taskbar.
- In the context menu, move the mouse cursor to the “News and Interests” item.
- In the menu that opens, select one of the options that affect the display of the application:
- Show icon and text.
- Show icon only.
To open News & Interests on the Windows taskbar, left-click on the widget icon. A panel will open on the PC screen with dynamic content that is constantly updated.
The web channel provides a variety of news items and weather forecasts. The information collected in the widget is obtained from 4.5 thousand sources around the world working with the Microsoft News (MSN) platform. The information provided is constantly updated throughout the day.
By default, the widget contains information on topics:
- Links to the best articles.
- Weather forecast.
- Exchange quotations and exchange rates.
- Timetable of sport competitions.
- Information cards with news collected from popular sites.
- Link to view other news.
To sync the information you receive between your devices, use your Microsoft account.
Setting up news in the widget
Over time, your feed will become more personalized. You can customize the content of the widget according to your interests.
- Hover over the news, click on the button with three dots (“Additional”).
- After that, a drop-down menu will open, in which you can configure the receipt of such materials. Here you can save the selected content for the future, hide the article, hide the materials of the corresponding publication if you do not want to follow them.
- Click on the “Manage” button located in the upper right corner of the widget.
- This will open a Microsoft Edge browser window on your channel where you can set your interests, save articles, read the magazine, and customize your experience.
Activate the news that interests you the most. Based on your preferences, Microsoft News will curate relevant information. All basic channel settings are changed in the browser on the feed.
To select your location on the weather card, tap on the three dots and then change your location.
How to Disable the News & Interests Widget – 1 Way
There are several ways to remove the news widget from the computer screen. Let’s look at the simplest option first.
Go through the steps:
- Right click on the taskbar.
- In the context menu that opens, move the mouse cursor to “News and Interests”.
- In the next menu, click on the “Disable” item.
How to remove “News and interests” in the Registry Editor – method 2
If for some reason the first method does not work for you, you can change the display settings of the widget in the system tool – the Windows Registry Editor.
Do the following:
- Open Registry Editor .
- Follow the path:
- Look for the “ShellFeedsTaskbarViewMode” setting.
- Right click on the parameter.
- In the context menu, select “Edit …”.
- In the “Change DWORD (32-bit) Value” window, in the “Value” field, enter the number “2”, and then save this setting.
You can select multiple values for this parameter, depending on your situation:
- Show icon and text is “0”.
- Show only the icon – “1”.
- Disable – “2”.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
How to remove “News and Interests” Windows 10 in the Group Policy Editor – Method 3
There is another method to disable the news content widget. We use a system tool designed to change group policies.
Please note that the Windows Group Policy Editor only works on older versions of the operating system: Windows 10 Professional, Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Enterprise.
You need to do the following:
- Launch the Local Group Policy Editor .
- In the “Local Group Policy Editor” window, follow the path:
Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → News and Interests
- Double-click the left mouse button on the “News and Interests” component.
- Double-click on the option “Enable news and interests in the taskbar.”
- In the “Enable news and interests on the taskbar” window, set the value to “Disabled”.
- Reboot your PC.
The Windows 10 operating system has a feature – “News and Interests”, which allows you to follow the news, located on the taskbar. The widget shows the weather and news items according to the user’s interests. If necessary, the user can change the feed settings or disable the newsbar in the operating system so that the widget is no longer displayed on the taskbar.