Microsoft account – username and password for logging into Windows, Skype, OneDrive, Office, Hotmail, Outlook, Xbox Live, Bing, MSN, Store (Microsoft Store), Windows Phone, Visual Studio. An account is required for a user to access Microsoft services, apps, subscriptions, and devices.
Through the account, the user gets access to his data and settings from any device, applications and services become more convenient, and personal management.
A user can link all of their profiles across multiple devices to one account for easy management of their Microsoft account. A user can have multiple Microsoft accounts if they created profiles in programs or services at different times using different email addresses and passwords. In this case, the control is performed by the account associated with this device.
Previously, the account changed its name several times. The previous version of the account was called “Windows Live ID”.
Another benefit of using an account on the Windows operating system is that the product key license is linked to the account information. In the case of reinstalling Windows, after logging in with a Microsoft account (MSA), making an Internet connection, the operating system will be automatically activated on the computer. Therefore, I recommend that you sign in to your computer at least once with a Microsoft account. The system on the PC will be associated with the account, which will help to reactivate the system on this hardware without any problems.
I think that considering the above, it makes sense to create a Microsoft account. A profile can come in handy in different situations.
There are several ways to create a Microsoft account:
- directly from Windows OS settings;
- on the official page of the Microsoft website https://account.microsoft.com/ ;
- from the window of a program or production service.
The user, having signed in to their profile, manages their Microsoft account from the account:
- edits their user data: you can change the Microsoft account name, email address, phone number associated with the profile;
- changes or resets the account password;
- makes payments and issues invoices related to products;
- manage devices:
- manages product subscriptions;
- changes privacy and security settings;
- manages family security;
- searches for and blocks lost devices;
- obtains reference information for solving problems;
- if necessary, remove the Microsoft account.
When you sign in to a profile, your account settings are synchronized across all devices managed by that Microsoft profile.
Account in Windows 10: how to create an account on Windows
In this instruction, we will consider creating an account using the Windows 10 operating system as an example. You can create an account on Windows 10 from the system settings.
Follow these steps to create a Microsoft account:
- Enter the Start menu, launch the Settings app.
- Open “Accounts”, in the “Your Information” section, click on the link “Sign in with a Microsoft account instead”.
- In the Microsoft Account window, if you already have a Microsoft profile, you’ll need to enter your email address, phone number, or Skype account. If you don’t have an account, click on the “Create one!” link. The profile creation process will take a little time.
- In the next window, enter your email address (any mailbox on Gmail, Yandex Mail, Mail.Ru, Yahoo, etc. will do), create a password for your account, and then select a country.
- It then asks for your consent to display content that is most relevant to your interests. If this offer does not interest you, uncheck both boxes in this window.
- In the window that opens, you are prompted to enter the current password to enter the operating system to verify the authenticity of the user. The next time you sign in, your Microsoft account password will be used. Leave the field blank if you do not currently have a Windows login password on your computer.
- The Create a PIN window prompts you to create a sign-in PIN that you can use instead of entering your Microsoft account password. The PIN code is stored on this device and is not transmitted to the Internet.
- In the PIN Setup window, enter the characters for the new PIN, and then confirm the PIN. The PIN code must contain at least 4 characters.
- After applying the settings, you will be taken to the accounts section in the Settings application. Here you will see that the computer is signed in with a Microsoft account.
Creating a Microsoft account without using the Windows operating system works in a similar way. After creating their profile on the site, the user can sign in to the account on the computer by entering information from their Microsoft account.
To change the settings, or to apply the necessary settings, you can log into your account on the official website using a browser from any device.
Sign in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account
During Windows installation , the system prompts you to enter information from your Microsoft account. If you wish to use your Microsoft profile on the operating system, enter this information when you install the system. You can do this at any time, from the installed Windows.
After starting the computer or when rebooting, to enter the operating system, you will need to enter an account password or PIN code, the user’s choice. The user can independently change the “Parameters” of entering the system by selecting the account password or PIN code for entering in the appropriate field.
If necessary, the user can change the account name to something else.
If you find it difficult to constantly enter a password every time you start the operating system, follow the link to read the article on how to disable password entry in Windows 10 at logon.
When working on a computer on a Windows operating system, the user can use a Microsoft account. After creating a profile, the user has access to settings for managing personal data, privacy, security on all devices associated with a Microsoft account.