Your comprehensive guide on how to convert OTD to PDF
For word processing OTD Open Document Tax files are commonly used. But most of the people want to convert these files to PDF format because it becomes their need. PDF files offer versatility and they are hugely supported across different platforms. Here are different effective ways in which you can convert ODT to PDF.
Many users use Microsoft Office, in particular the Word application, but there are other text editors besides this software, such as OpenOffice Writer and LibreOffice Writer. Unlike the DOCX or DOC formats, these programs create files in the ODT format by default.
If you happen to have this type of file on your device and need to save it or share it as a PDF, then you can convert ODT to PDF. You will convert the ODT format to PDF, and you can use the file on any device.
ODT is an OpenDocument file format that is typically created in OpenOffice Writer or LibreOffice Writer word processors. There are some other formats used in these applications: ODS, ODP and ODG.
An ODT file includes text, images, other objects, styles, and more, just like a Word file. This format can be opened and saved in Microsoft Word and some other office suites.
The Portable Document Format (PDF) is a format used for easy reading, sharing, and printing of files. PDF files store a huge number of documents of various types.
Top reasons why users need to convert ODT to PDF:
- When opened in other software, the formatting and layout of ODT or Word files may differ from the original, which never happens with PDF documents.
- After converting ODT to PDF, you can view the file on most platforms and browsers without having to install a special program to read this format.
Several methods can be used to convert ODT to PDF:
- Save the ODT file to PDF using a virtual printer.
- Convert ODT to PDF in a text editor.
- Use ODT/PDF converter online (ODT to PDF) on the Internet.
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to convert an ODT document to a PDF file in various ways on a computer or online.
Converting ODT to PDF using Virtual Printer
First, we’ll look at a generic way to convert between these formats using a virtual printer. The Microsoft Print to PDF virtual printer is built into the Windows 10 and Windows 11 operating systems.
With this software, you can save any printable file as a PDF. We need to open ODT in a program that supports this file format, and then send the document to print.
To use this method, on Windows 7 and Windows 8, you must install a virtual printer program such as BullZip PDF Printer, PDFCreator, doPDF, or another application.
Go through a few steps:
- Open the ODT document in a text editor.
This article uses the WordPad application, which is included with the Windows operating system, as an example, which can be used if there are no other text editors on the PC that support the ODT format.
- Enter the “File” menu and then select “Print”, or press the keys “Ctrl” + “P”.
- In the Print window, highlight the Microsoft to PDF printer.
- If necessary, select the range of pages you want to save as PDF.
- Click on the “Print” button.
- Select a location to save the PDF file on your computer.
Converting to LibreOffice Writer
The free text editor LibreOffice Writer can be used as an ODT to PDF converter. The LibreOffice office suite is available on Windows, Linux, macOS, FreeBSD and some other operating systems.
Do the following in LibreOffice Writer:
- In the open document window, select the “File” menu.
- From the context menu, first select “Export to” and then “Export to PDF…” or “Export to PDF directly”.
In the first case, you can configure the conversion to PDF settings, and the second option involves saving an open document to PDF by default, without entering the settings window.
- In the PDF Options window, choose which pages you want to convert to PDF, whether to compress images or sign the PDF with a watermark, add a digital signature and a password.
- Click on “Export” to save the ODT file as a PDF.
Convert ODT to PDF in OpenOffice Writer
OpenOffice Writer is a text editor included with the free OpenOffice office suite. With this application, you can convert ODT to PDF format.
Do the following in OpenOffice Writer:
- Open the ODT document in the program.
- Go to the “File” menu, select “Export to PDF…”.
- The “PDF Options” window will open, in which you can specify the range for saving pages, the degree of image compression, and set a password.
- Click on the “Export” button.
Save ODT to PDF with Word
Microsoft Word supports working with files in the ODT format, so you can create a PDF file after opening a document.
Do the following:
- Open the ODT file in a Word text editor.
- Enter the “File” menu, click on “Export”.
- In the “Export” tab, select “Create PDF/XPS Document”.
- Click on the Create PDF/XPS button.
- In the “Publish as PDF or XPS” window, if necessary, select the type of optimization: standard (for web and print) or minimum size (for web).
- Click on the “Publish” button.
ODT to PDF to Soft4Boost Document Converter
Soft4Boost Document Converter is a free program to easily convert ODT to PDF. This is a universal document converter that suits our purposes.
Go through the steps:
- Click the “Add Files” button to add the ODT file to the application’s interface. After that, the contents of the document will be displayed in the program window.
- In the right part of the program window there is a list of available file formats. Click on the “To PDF” button, after which the corresponding settings will appear on the panel below.
- You can add a watermark to the output file, password protect the PDF file, restrict printing, copying and editing.
- Specify the exit path, and then click on the “Start!” button.
After the conversion is completed, a pop-up dialog box will appear, allowing you to open the converted PDF file.
How to Convert ODT to PDF Online with Google Docs
If you’re not going to install any application on your computer, Google Drive allows you to convert an ODT file to PDF through a web browser using its Google Docs document management web application.
The advantage of this method is that Google Docs, as well as other online services, can be used on any device, not just on a computer.
Learn how to convert ODT file to PDF online using Google Docs:
- Sign in to your Google account in a browser and then open Google Docs.
- On the Create Document page, click the Blank File button.
- From the “File” menu, click on “Open”.
- In the “Open file” window, go to the “Download” tab to select a file on the device, or drag it to a special area.
- After opening the document, go to the “File” menu, and in the drop-down menu, first select “Download” and then “PDF Document”.
Once converted, the PDF file will be automatically downloaded to the browser and you can click on it to view or save it.
How to convert ODT to PDF online with PDF24 Tools
You can convert ODT to PDF online for free at the PDF24 Tools website. It contains a large number of web applications for working with PDF format.
In addition to the online service, you can use the standalone PDF24 Creator application, which is installed on your computer. Together with the application, a virtual printer from this manufacturer will be installed on the PC, which is suitable for printing to PDF.
Do the following:
- Go to the PDF24 Tools service page: https://tools.pdf24.org/en/convert-to-pdf .
- Click on the “Select Files” button or drag and drop them from your computer into a special form.
- Click the “Convert to PDF” button.
- After completing the task, click on the “Download” button to download the finished file to your PC.
In some cases, the user needs to convert the ODT file to PDF format. Currently, the ODT format is supported by all major office suites. If you need to get an ODT document as a PDF file, then you can use a virtual printer installed on your computer, text editors and converter programs, or online services on the Internet that convert ODT to PDF.
How do I change a ODT file to PDF?
Navigate to create PDF option from the tools menu in Acrobat. After that select a file and then investigate the location of your ODT file. Choose the file that you want to convert and then choose create after that save your new PDF to the desired location.
How do i convert ODT to PDF in bulk?
Open the Win2PDF Desktop, Batch Convert window and then select the ‘ Convert to Format’ to PDF. Select the Convert Files from Location to the Folder that contains the ODT files to convert. After that set the Save to Folder to location where you want to move converted PDF files.
How to convert PDF step by step?
Drag the file into the drop zone and then open the document that you want to convert. Watch Adobe Acrobat to do its PDF conversion magic. Login or sign in to download or share your converted profile at any desired place.