How to choose a quality iron
Which model is better for home use? Buyers are often guided by appearance and cost. But the main criterion should be the type of sole.
What materials is it made of
It is necessary to determine what the sole is made of and consider the degree of surface smoothness, as it comes into contact with our clothes:
- Aluminum is the most affordable option with excellent sliding properties. The narrow part makes it possible to get to the most inaccessible places. Weightless, heats up and cools down quickly. But because of this, it leaves scorch marks and a shiny mark. The coating deforms over time and requires replacement.
- Stainless steel is more reliable than aluminum. Has an average thermal conductivity. Strong and durable material, glides smoothly and smoothes effectively without scratching fabrics. Unfortunately, it does not have a non-stick function and is heavy.
- Ceramic – keeps heat well, glides on and is easy to clean. The disadvantages include its fragility. Chipping and cracking can damage delicate fabrics. The thickness of the cover does not allow you to get close to the places where buttons and zippers are sewn.
- Teflon – excellent thermal properties: it heats up and cools down quickly. Strokes well, does not stick, glides easily. But it requires careful maintenance – removal of adhered particles and scale.
Irons are available in different rated power:
- road (from 800 to 1500 W);
- household (from 1500 to 2000 W);
- professional (over 2000 W).
Dimensions are also an important parameter. Choose with a larger area and a pointed nose, this will allow you to carefully iron out small and decorated details.
The following functions will help to facilitate the procedure of caring for things:
- auto shutdown – the device, which has been standing still for a while, turns itself off;
- spraying – even distribution of water, facilitating the ironing process;
- self-cleaning – allows you to pour hard unfiltered water into the tank and prevents the appearance of plaque;
- steaming – a similar replacement for a steamer for items that require careful handling;
- steam shock – accumulation and force of a jet of steam directed at a dry and dented object;
- steam supply – smoothes fabrics for which abundant wetting is contraindicated;
- anti-drip system – helps to avoid wet stains;
- rewinding the cord – the cord automatically enters the compartment by pressing a button.
A few more nuances will help to make a decision:
- weight – a light iron has to be pressed against the surface with effort, and hands quickly get tired from a heavy iron. 1.5 kg – optimal weight;
- the length of the wire is the most convenient – 1.5-2 meters. Ideal when it rotates on a special hinge. This protects it from creases and mechanical damage;
- water tank – it is better to choose a transparent container with a wide opening so that the liquid level is visible;
- design – non-slip handles and comfortable positioning of the controls.
The price of products is made up of many factors: brand promotion, sole material, power, versatile options.