Many computers use SSDs (Solid-State Drives) to store information instead of, or along with, conventional hard disk drives (HDDs). SSDs provide much faster data processing speeds than hard drives.
Despite having no moving parts, SSDs can get very hot. The temperature of an SSD can greatly affect its performance and reliability.
Most SSDs are rated to operate at temperatures between 0°C and 70°C. This temperature range is roughly the same for all SSDs currently on the market.
Sometimes the maximum temperature of the SSD may vary slightly depending on the model, the form factor of the SSD (2-inch SSD, M.2 or mSATA), the interface (SATA, NVMe), the declared operating parameters from the SSD manufacturer.
The operating temperature of an SSD depends on many factors, such as the ambient temperature, what type of enclosure the SSD is in or where it is housed inside your computer case, and the amount of work the SSD is currently doing (read/write).
Unlike hard drives, solid state drives can reach very high temperatures, which can damage them. It’s especially important to monitor the temperature of an SSD during large data transfers to make sure it stays below the operating temperature threshold.
Therefore, it is important for the user to know that the temperature of SSD drives does not exceed the threshold values, the excess of which can lead to rapid wear and failure of this device. It is necessary to control that your computer has a normal temperature of the SSD.
To do this, you need a program that will show what temperature the SSD is on your PC. With the help of the software, you can easily know the temperature of the SSD disk in real time. There is an option in the Windows 11 operating system settings that allows you to see the temperature of the SSD, but this is only available for SSDs with NVMe non-volatile memory.
This guide introduces you to several applications running on the Windows operating system that can monitor the current temperature on your computer’s SSD.
How to check SSD temperature in CrystalDiskInfo
CrystalDiskInfo is a free program for monitoring the temperature of hard drives and SSDs. This software displays the temperature of SSD and HDD drives in real time.
You can set a temperature alarm in the program to immediately know when your computer’s SSD drive reaches a temperature threshold. The app displays the temperature in degrees Celsius (°C) and degrees Fahrenheit (°F).
Along with the temperature of the SSD, CrystalDiskInfo shows the current status of the SSD. The application can be installed on a computer or you can use a portable version that does not require installation.
The main features of CrystalDiskInfo for monitoring disk temperature:
- Temperature – in the main interface of the program, you can view the temperature of one or more connected SSDs or hard drives in real time.
- Temperature Graph – With the temperature graph, you can monitor the temperature fluctuations of your SSD over a period of time.
- Alert feature – You can use this feature to set an SSD temperature threshold to immediately receive an alert if the SSD reaches a temperature peak during monitoring. You can choose the type of notification: sound notification or mail notification.
Do the following:
- Launch the CrystalDiskInfo program on your computer.
- In the application window, open the SSD drive if your PC has multiple physical drives.
- You will see indicators of the technical condition and temperature of the SSD drive.
Indication of the assessment of the state of disks and temperature is visualized in the following form:
- Okay, blue.
- Anxiety is yellow.
- Bad is red.
In the program’s interface, you can track the current health status (good, average or bad) along with various “SMART” attributes.
Viewing SSD Temperature in SSD-Z
SSD-Z is a free portable SSD temperature monitoring software that runs on the Windows operating system. Because it is portable software, you can use SSD-Z from a flash drive or anywhere on your computer’s drive.
The application shows the current temperature of the SSD, as well as other characteristics: bus interface, capacity, firmware, controller, and so on. In addition to SSD drives, the program can also display the temperature of the hard drive on the computer along with its characteristics.
Do the following:
- Open the SSD-Z program on your computer.
- The Device tab displays various characteristics of the SSD: name, firmware version, capacity, sector size, and so on. In the “Temperature” option, you can view the temperature of the SSD or HDD in real time.
By clicking on the temperature reading field, you will switch the temperature value from Celsius to Fahrenheit and vice versa.
In the SMART tab, you can view various technical attributes of the SSD: the number of reallocated sectors, the raw read error rate, the number of power cycles, the number of erase errors, the write error rate, and the like.
The Partitions tab shows all partitions on the SSD.
From the Benchmark tab, you can run tests to find out the values of sequential read, sequential write, 4k write, read access time, and others.
Speccy SSD temperature
Spessy is a free program that provides detailed information about computer hardware: motherboard, CPU, hard and optical drives, RAM, sound and graphics cards, and so on.
Among other data, if there are sensors on the computer, the application displays the current temperature of the various components of the system.
Do the following:
- In the Speccy main window, open the Data Storage tab.
- In the Hard Drives section, you will see a variety of summary information about the SSD drive.
- The “SMART” section displays the current operating temperature of the SSD and the normal temperature range.
Among other data, it shows the various SMART attributes of this SSD.
Find out what is the temperature of the SSD-disk in AIDA64
AIDA64 is a program designed to obtain information about the hardware and software of a computer, diagnose and test equipment. The application helps to collect information from the sensors available on the device.
You will need to do the following:
- In the AIDA64 program window, enter the side menu.
- In the “Computer” group, click on the “Sensors” option.
- In the “Temperatures” section, find the solid state drive, there you will see what the SSD temperature sensor shows.
How to view SSD temperature in Samsung Magician
Samsung Magician is a free SSD temperature monitoring software. The program only works with Samsung SSDs.
Go through the steps:
- Open the main window of Samsung Magician.
- On the Drive Dashboard tab, you can view the current temperature of your SSD, as well as the SSD capacity and drive health.
Additional features of Samsung Magician:
- Performance Benchmark – You can find out both sequential and random read and write speed of SSD.
- Performance Optimization – 4 performance modes for disk optimization.
- Diagnostic Scan – Scans the SSD and automatically fixes errors if any.
- Space Reservation Options (Over Provisioning) – Allocate a certain amount of capacity to available SSD space to improve its performance and lifespan.
- Data Management – Several data management functions that you can use to securely erase data from SSD, encrypt and decrypt encrypted SSDs.
Other SSD manufacturers have similar applications, and you can use them.
Many computers use Solid State Drives (SSDs). During operation, these drives may become hot. To prevent the SSD from failing prematurely, the computer must maintain a normal temperature of the SSD drive. You can find out the current temperature of an SSD using specialized software.