How to change the Wi-Fi frequency on a smartphone?
Why do you need to change the Wi-Fi frequency on your smartphone? How do you know it’s time to change the Wi-Fi frequency?
By standard, mobile phones use the 2.4 GHz frequency for Wi-Fi. Other smartphones, as well as Bluetooth devices and some other equipment, work in the same range. Since 2014, the 5 GHz band has appeared, which means that it has become possible to change the frequency from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz. But why and how to do it?
Why change the Wi-Fi frequency on a smartphone?
Since many other devices, as well as most routers and mobile devices, operate on the 2.4 GHz frequency, this frequency can cause interference and connection failures. The 5 GHz band is not used as often, which means that interference will occur much less frequently. Therefore, it is recommended to change the Wi-Fi frequency on the phone if the user often encounters sudden disconnections and loss of connection.
It is worth changing the frequency from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz when distributing the Internet from the phone, that is, when the access point on the mobile device is turned on. So the user can avoid connection problems during distribution.
How do I know if my phone supports 5 GHz?
There are several ways to find out if a mobile phone can operate with a frequency of 5 GHz:
- From the technical characteristics of the phone. You can find them on the official website of the manufacturer or in the instruction manual. It should indicate the ability to work with the 802.11ac standard. If this information is available, then the phone supports the 5 GHz frequency.
- Using the Wi-Fi Info app. It can be downloaded for free from Google Play. Next to the bottom line labeled “5Ghz Support” will either show true (5GHz support) or false (no 5GHz support).
How to change the Wi-Fi frequency on your phone?
To change the frequency from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz on your phone, you need to:
- Enter phone settings.
- Select the Wi-Fi section.
- Go to the “Advanced” or “Advanced settings” section.
- In the “Wi-Fi frequency” line, select 5 GHz.
If there is no such line, then Wi-Fi automatically works with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies.
To change the Wi-Fi hotspot frequency on your phone from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz, you need to:
- Open the “Access Point” section. You can find it both in the settings of wireless networks, and by lowering the “curtain”.
- Select “Advanced” or “Access Point Settings”.
- In the “Wi-Fi frequency range” section, switch the frequency from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz.
Thus, the Wi-Fi frequency can be changed if the user begins to notice that the Internet connection often disappears, turns off, or starts to work worse. If Wi-Fi is distributed to the phone using a router, the frequency must first be changed on the router. If connection problems start when the user turns on the Wi-Fi access point on the phone, i.e. distributes the Internet from the phone, the frequency must be changed in the access point settings.