Convert WAV to MP3 – 7 Ways
Some users need to convert WAV to MP3 in order to convert between these audio formats. There are a huge number of audio formats, and among them are audio file formats that work on one platform but are unknown on others.
This is one of the reasons why MP3 (MPEG-1/2/2.5 Layer 3) has become such a popular audio file format. The MP3 format compresses files, which is also a good benefit in most use cases. If you buy and download music, you will most likely have it in MP3 format.
WAV (WAVE) or Waveform Audio File Format is a common audio output format in Windows recording software, voice memos, and the like.
WAV stores high-quality audio data in uncompressed form. On the other hand, MP3 is one of the most popular audio formats supported by all types of audio programs and devices.
It is much easier to convert WAV to MP3 to use the audio file on any platform or device than to search for the right software to play audio to WAV.
To change the WAV format to MP3, two methods are suitable using:
- software installed on the computer;
- web applications on the service on the Internet.
In the first case, you will be able to convert the WAV format to MP3 using the application directly on the PC. The second method suggests using the WAV to MP3 converter online on a website on the Internet where all the audio processing work will be done.
From the instructions in this guide, you will learn how to convert a WAV file to MP3 using programs on your computer, or using conversion tools on services on the Internet.
Convert WAV to MP3 with VLC media player
VLC media player is a free and open source media playback software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS and Android. The program is also used to broadcast or receive video or audio over a network.
VLC Media Player has a dedicated section for converting audio and video files. With it, you can convert audio files of almost any format to the following audio formats: FLAC, MP3, OGG and CD.
In addition to selecting the output audio format, you can adjust the audio codec, bit rate, audio channels, and audio sample rate.
Go through the following steps to complete WAV to MP3 conversion:
- With the VLC Media Player window open, go to the Media menu.
- In the context menu that opens, select the “Convert/Save …” item or press the “Crtl” + “R” keys.
- In the “Source” window, in the “File” tab, click on the “Add …” button to select a WAV file on your computer.
- Click the “Convert/Save” button.
- In the “Convert” window, in the “Profile” field, select the format – “Audio – MP3”.
- In the Destination File field, use the Browse button to specify the save location and name for the new file.
- Click on the “Start” button.
Before starting the conversion, you can change the default encoding options. Do the following:
- In the “Profile” parameter, click on the “Edit selected profile” button (wrench).
- In the Edit Profile window, open the Audio Codec tab.
- In the Encoding Options option, you can change the codec, bit rate, channels, and sample rate.
- Save your settings and then start converting WAV to MP3.
How to Convert WAV Audio to MP3 with Freemake Audio Converter
Freemake Audio Converter is designed to convert audio files to other common audio formats. With the help of the program, you can convert music files in batch mode.
Follow the steps to convert WAV file to MP3:
- Add the source file to Freemake Audio Converter using the “Audio” button or drag and drop it into this window from your PC.
If you add multiple files, then you can merge those files with this application.
- Click on the “to MP3” button among the available output formats located on the bottom bar.
- In the Conversion Options window, select a profile and save location for the processed file. By default, the input file settings are used, but you can change these settings by clicking on the Edit Profile button (gear).
- In the MP3 Profile Editor window, you can change the title, channels, frequency, and bit rate.
- To start the conversion process, click on the “Convert” button.
Hamster Free Audio Converter – WAV to MP3 Converter
Hamster Free Audio Converter is a free audio converter for Windows with a simple and intuitive user interface that supports a large number of formats. With this application, you can easily convert one or more WAV files to MP3 at the same time.
Besides, you can also merge WAV files and convert them to MP3 at the same time. The files will be merged in the order they were added to the program.
The application provides the “Create Collection” option to add tags to the output MP3 file, including artist name, album, genre, comments, and cover art.
You can also convert audio to an output format compatible with devices such as Apple, Sony, Nokia, HTC, Microsoft, Samsung, and so on.
To convert audio or music from WAV format to MP3, do the following:
- In the Hamster Free Audio Converter window, click the “Add Files” button. You can add multiple files of this format.
- Click on the “Next” button.
In the “Devices” section there are presets for certain devices with a choice of output file quality in order to start the conversion with these parameters.
- In the “Formats and devices” section, select the format – “MP3”.
- Click on the “Convert” button.
How to Convert WAV to MP3 Online with FreeConvert
FreeConvert.com is a free file converter that can convert audio from WAV to MP3 online. Supports converting multiple audio files at once.
The FreeConvert online service supports large audio files up to 1 GB in size. Before starting encoding, you can manually adjust some audio parameters: codec, bit rate, volume intensity, and so on.
Follow these steps to convert WAV to MP3 online:
- Go to the website to access the WAV to MP3 conversion tool: https://www.freeconvert.com/wav-to-mp3 .
- Upload one or more WAV files. Files can be added to the service from a computer using a button or using the drag-and-drop mechanism, select from Dropbox and Google Drive cloud storage via a URL link.
If necessary, click on the “Advanced Settings (optional)” button (gear) to configure the MP3 audio output settings.
- Finally, click the “Convert To MP3” button to start the conversion process.
- Download the finished file to a PC or other device, save it in the Dropbox or Google Drive clouds, create a QR code to share this file with other users.
Convert WAV to MP3 format on Convertio
Convertio.co is a free online file converter for various file formats. Using this website, users can convert WAV files to MP3, or other audio formats.
The service has a limit on audio files no larger than 100 MB. Before starting encoding, they suggest using the settings panel, which allows you to configure some audio parameters (frequency, audio codec, audio bitrate, and others).
Do the following:
- Open the Convertio service page at the link: https://convertio.co/ru/wav-mp3/ .
- Click on the “Select Files” button to upload one or more audio files from PC, Dropbox, Google Drive, or drag and drop them into a special form.
- Select “MP3” as the output format.
- Then go to “Settings” to adjust the audio output settings.
- Click the “Convert” button to start the conversion process.
- Download the finished audio file to your computer.
Keep in mind that files are stored on the Convertio service for 24 hours.
Convert WAV to MP3 online for free on 123apps
Online-audio-converter.com is a free online audio format converter powered by 123apps.com. It supports converting multiple WAV files to another audio format at once.
The service offers a tool to convert input audio files into iPhone ringtones. You can specify your output properties (sound quality, bitrate sample rate, number of channels, and so on) for the file.
Do the following:
- Go to this website: https://online-audio-converter.com/en/ .
- Click “Open Files” button to download WAV audio files, add them from Dropbox, Google Drive or URL.
- Then select “MP3” in the output format menu.
- Set the appropriate quality by moving the slider along the appropriate scale.
If you need to make changes to the default settings, click on the “Advanced” button to change the encoding options.
- Click the “Convert” button.
- Download the sound file to your computer or send it to cloud storage.
Online audio converter WAV to MP3 on Online-convert
Online-convert.com is a free online converter for working with files of multimedia, graphic and text formats. This service can convert large WAV files up to 2GB to MP3, OGG, AAC, AIFF and so on.
On this service, before starting the conversion, you can configure various parameters for the output audio file: bitrate, sample rate, channel selection, and so on.
Follow the steps below to transcode WAV to MP3 online:
- Go to the Online-convert.com website page: https://audio.online-convert.com/en/convert/wav-to-mp3 .
- Click on the “Choose a file” button to add it from your computer, drag the audio to the dedicated area, enter the URL, upload from Dropbox or Google Drive.
- Adjust the audio output settings, and then click the “Start” button to start the conversion process.
- Upload the file to the cloud, download it to your PC as a regular file or in a ZIP archive.
Many users encounter audio files that are not supported on all devices. In this regard, there is a need to convert the WAV format to the more common MP3 format, which can be played almost anywhere. To solve this problem, you can convert audio files to another format one by one or by a group using a PC program or an online service on the Internet.