Many users have to take screenshots on their computer in order to use them for different purposes later. This function has different names: screenshot (screenshot), screen capture, screenshot, screenshot.
Depending on the circumstances, the user needs to take screenshots of the entire screen area or part of it: the active window, a rectangular area, or a custom area. To perform this task, special programs installed on the computer are used – screenshots, or specialized online services.
The Windows operating system can save screenshots using system tools. For these purposes, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista has a built-in system tool – the Scissors application.
Windows 10 introduces a new app called Snip & Sketch, also known as Screen Snip, Snip & Sketch, Snip & Sketch. Microsoft suggests that in the tenth version of Windows, “Sketch on screen fragment” will completely replace the program “Scissors” as part of the operating system, as a tool for creating screenshots.
At this point in time, in the top ten, both applications are available to users: Windows 10 Screen Snip and Scissors. We will talk about the Sketch on Screen Snip application in detail in this article, and the Scissors program is located in the Start menu, in the Windows Accessories folder.
You can learn more about the Windows Scissors system tool in another article on this site.
How to Get Screen Snip Sketch in Windows 10
The Screen Snip Sketch app comes by default with Windows 10. If you haven’t uninstalled the built-in Windows apps, this tool will be there.
Some users remove UWP applications from their computers in various ways, so it is quite possible that this tool will not be on the PC. However, the Screen Snip Sketch utility can be reinstalled on the computer.
The app is available for installation on Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store. The user needs to use the application from a computer or go to the official website of the store.
In the Microsoft Store, the program is called Snip & Sketch. Install the application on your computer.
How to start Sketch & Snip
The user can use several methods on their computer that trigger the screenshot feature using the Sketch and Snippet application.
- Press the “Win” + “Shift” + “S” keys.
- The computer display will dim and the application bar will appear in the top center.
- Enter the start menu.
- In the list of installed applications, find “Sketch on Screen Snip”, and then launch the program on your PC.
- In the notification area, click the Windows Action Center button.
- In the notifications, you will find the “Screen Snip” item to launch this tool.
- Open the Scissors program.
- The Snipping Tool application window displays an announcement about the transfer of this tool.
- Click on the “Try Screen Snip Sketch” button.
- Click the search button on the taskbar.
- In the search field, start typing the name of the program.
- The system will show the best match, which is the Sketch on Snip app to open.
- Launch the Settings app.
- Enter the “Accessibility” section.
- Open the Keyboard tab.
- In the “Keyboard shortcut: PRINT SCREEN” option, move the slider to the “On” position.
- Now, the function of creating a screenshot will be called using the “PrtSc” (Print Screen) key.
Depending on how you invoke the Screen Snip application, the method for launching the tool on your computer is different:
- The image editor window will open first (when launched from the start menu, search, scissors).
- The screen immediately darkens, at the top of which the program control panel will appear (when using hot keys, from the notification area)
How to take a screenshot of a screen fragment
Depending on how the screen capture function is invoked, the application immediately launches to perform its functions, or an image editor window opens first, from which the appropriate option is selected to take a screenshot.
In the first case, on the toolbar, you need to click on the appropriate button to perform the appropriate task:
- Rectangular fragment.
- Fragment of arbitrary shape.
- window fragment.
- Fullscreen snippet.
In the second option of launching the component, the application window “Sketch on a fragment of the screen” will first open.
Click the arrow next to the “Create” button to:
- Create fragment now.
- Create fragment after 3 seconds.
- Create snippet after 10 seconds.
After clicking on the “Create” button, the application toolbar will open, and the program window will be minimized.
To take a screenshot of the screen, follow these steps:
- On the toolbar, click a suitable button, such as Window Slice or Rectangular Slice, to select a slice on the screen.
- Click on the object with the left mouse button, a sketch of a fragment of the screen will appear in the clipboard (with the quick option to launch the component).
- You need to click the mouse in the clipboard window to paste the fragment into the image editor of this tool.
- Or paste the created screenshot into the window of any graphic editor, for example, in Paint for further editing in another program.
- When the component is launched normally, the created screenshot will immediately open in the Sketch on Snippet application window.
Tools and settings
The application has a toolbar with which you can edit a screenshot of a screen fragment. The following tools are available to us:
- Handwriting – Add text or characters using the mouse cursor.
- Pen – Enter text or symbols with a choice of colors.
- Pencil – creating a multi-colored drawing.
- Marker – drawing multi-colored thick lines.
- Eraser – Erase unwanted elements from the image.
- Ruler or protractor.
- Crop – Crop the image to a suitable size.
- Scale – increase the actual size of the picture.
- Save – save the image in PNG, JPG, GIF formats.
- Copy – copy the finished screenshot to the clipboard.
- Share – send a snippet to your contacts.
- Learn more – perform various actions, send to print, go to settings.
The drawing tools are optimized for stylus inking devices, but you can use a mouse pointer on a PC.
To change component settings, follow the steps:
- On the toolbar, click on the “Details” button (three dots).
- Select Options from the context menu.
- As a result, a window with program options in the Settings application will open.
Where are screenshots saved?
Some users may wonder, where are screen fragments stored? The Sketch on Snippet application saves a screenshot of a screen snippet to a temporary folder in the user’s Windows profile.
Follow these steps:
- Launch Windows Explorer.
- Enter the following command in the Explorer address bar:
- Press the “Enter” key.
- The folder where the thumbnails are saved will open in the Explorer window.
Windows 10 Screen Snip: Hotkeys
The Screen Snip Sketch component uses hotkeys. Using the Screen Snip key combination, you can perform the necessary actions without using the application interface.
To perform quick actions, use the Screen Snip keyboard shortcut, which is shown in the table.
|Ctrl + N||Creating a new fragment|
|Ctrl+O||Opening a file|
|Shift + arrow keys||Moving the cursor to select a rectangular area of the fragment|
|Ctrl + Z||Cancel action|
The Sketch on Snippet (Snip and Snip and Sketch) application is designed to take screenshots on a computer in the Windows 10 operating system. The user can capture the entire screen or a specific area. The screenshot is saved to the clipboard, it can be pasted into the application editor or into the window of another graphics program, to edit the image using various tools.