After you are done with work or study and completed all the important chores you had pending, you finally have some free time for yourself. Speaking of which, you thought it would be a great idea to be able to spend a few hours playing a video game. You are therefore looking for programs to download games that you can install on your PC or on the devices you own, but you don’t know where to turn your gaze.
How do you say? Are things really like this? Don’t worry, because I’m here to help you. In today’s guide, in fact, I will show you which software you can install on your PC, in order to play the video games you like best. In addition, I will also point out similar solutions that you can use on your mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets, and on your game console.
I bet you’re dying to start reading this guide, right? If so, all you need to do is simply sit back and pay attention to the tips you’ll find in the next chapters. I just have to wish you a good read and, above all, a good time!
- Programs to download games on PC
- Steam (Windows / macOS / Linux)
- Epic Games Store (Windows / macOS)
- Other solutions to download games on PC
- Programs for downloading games on mobile
- Play Store (Android)
- App Store (iOS / iPadOS)
- Other solutions to download games on mobile
- Programs for downloading games to consoles
Programs to download games on PC
If you want to install programs to download games on PC , what I recommend you do is carefully read all the suggestions you will find in the next chapters, in which I will list compatible solutions both on Windows and on macOS and Linux .
Steam (Windows / macOS / Linux)
The first program I want to tell you about to download games on PC is Steam . Surely I would have heard of it: it is the famous Valve platform containing a catalog with thousands of free and paid video games. Consider that Steam is the main platform on which video games are published on PC, as it has millions of active users.
To use Steam, however, you must first create a free account from the official website of this platform. If you want to know more about how to create a Steam account, I suggest you read what I have already illustrated to you in this guide of mine dedicated to the subject.
Once registered, to download the Steam client on your computer, go back to the official website of the service and click on the Install Steam button , which you can find at the top right. Once this is done, click on the Install Steam button , located in the center of the page that is proposed to you.
At the end of the download, if you use Windows , double-click on the .exe file you just downloaded and, in the screen that is shown to you, click on Yes , then on Next (twice in a row), Install and Finish , to conclude the setup. If you use macOS , on the other hand, open the .dmg file you obtained (by double clicking on it) and, in the box that you see, drag the Steam icon into the Applications folder .
Now start Steam via its icon present in the Windows Start menu or in the macOS Launchpad. You will be presented with a login screen, in which you will have to enter the login data of the Steam account created earlier. Once logged in, you will see the main screen of the client of this platform, through which you can explore the store, buy the games and automatically install them on your computer.
Specifically, through the Shop tab , you can explore the paid and free content available in the Steam virtual store. You can use the different filters or pre-set categories to access specific catalogs.
Through the Library tab , on the other hand, you can access all the content you have purchased or, in the case of free video games, that you have activated on your account. By clicking on the individual titles, a special button ( Install ) will be available to automatically install them on your computer.
If you want to know more about Steam , I can recommend some guides I have made on this subject. Specifically, I recommend you read my guides on how Steam works , how to download Steam and the one on how to download free games on Steam .
Epic Games Store (Windows / macOS)
Another software that you can use to download games to your computer is the one made available by Epic Games (the manufacturer of the very famous Fortnite , through its client Epic Games Launcher . It is a newer platform than Steam but soon conquered itself. a prominent place on the world videogame scene to the sound of exclusives and games given away. At the moment it certainly has a lower number of video games and active users than Steam , but it is, as mentioned, in continuous expansion and more and more developers rely on it for publishing video games on PC.
To use this service you need to create a free account directly from the official website . If you have any doubts about it, I suggest you read my guide on how to create an Epic Games account .
With that done, it’s time to download the Epic Games Launcher client , compatible with both Windows and macOS , to your computer. Go to the official Epic Games website and click on the Get Epic Games Games button located at the top right. This will automatically download the installation file compatible with your computer’s operating system.
When the download is complete, if you use Windows , double-click on the .msi file obtained and press the Install button , in the screen that is shown to you. At this point, click on the Yes button (twice in a row) and wait for the installation to complete. On macOS , on the other hand, after downloading the .dmg file , double-click on it and drag the Epic Games Launcher icon into the Applications folder .
After starting the Epic Games Launcher client , you will be shown a login screen, through which you must log in with the account you previously created. Once logged in, you will be able to browse the catalog of video games that can be purchased or downloaded for free, by accessing the Shop tab located in the sidebar.
Using the Library tab , on the other hand, you will be able to view the list of all the video games activated on your account. By clicking on a game thumbnail , you will be shown a screen where you can download and install it automatically on your PC.
Other solutions to download games on PC
There are several other solutions on PC that you can use to download video games. Find some of these in the next paragraphs.
- Microsoft Store(Windows 10) – is the Microsoft virtual store pre-installed on computers with the Windows 10 operating system. To purchase a video game, a Microsoft account is required , on which the title will be activated. Free video games are also available.
- Mac App Store(macOS) – Macs are equipped with the Mac App Store, the virtual store of macOS, to install the applications available in the catalog with just a few clicks. If you are looking for video games, you will find some both free and paid.
- GOG Galaxy( Windows / macOS ) – is a platform owned by CD Projekt , the famous software house for video games from The Witcher saga . Through the dedicated store, you can download free and paid DRM-free games, i.e. without any anti-piracy protection system.
- Uplay( Windows ) – is the client of the Ubisoft software house, which allows you to purchase and download the video games it develops.
- Origin( Windows / macOS ) – even the company EA, famous for sagas like FIFA and The Sims , has developed its own client to download the games developed by it and, to a lesser extent, also those of other companies.
- net( Windows / macOS ) – Activision Blizzard, known for the famous MMO video game Word of Warcraft , has developed its own client to distribute the video games it develops, some of which can be downloaded for free.
- Rockstar Games Launcher( Windows ) – Rockstar Games company, known for GTA series video games , uses its own client to distribute its video games.
Programs for downloading games on mobile
If you are looking for apps to download games on your smartphone or tablet, in the next chapters I will point out some solutions that can be for you.
Play Store (Android)
On most Android mobile devices , such as smartphones and tablets, you will find the Play Store pre-installed , an app that allows you to access the vast catalog of apps for the famous green robot operating system.
Inside the Play Store, you will find many apps but also video games, which you can download both for free and for a fee. To download an app, however, you need a Google account, which you can create for free by following the instructions I have given you in this guide of mine .
After starting the Play Store , through its icon on the home screen (the symbol ▶ ︎ colored), simply tap on the Games tab , which you find in the bar at the bottom, in order to access the section relating to video games for Android. Using the tabs at the top, however, you can view the default tabs that collect video games based on rankings or your interests. The search bar at the top, on the other hand, allows you to locate video games by title, if you were aware of it.
By pressing, instead, on the Categories tab , you can select a list of video games of a certain category of your interest. When you have found the one you like, press the Install button to download and install it (I told you about it in detail in this guide ). If the app is paid, however, it will be necessary to complete the purchase first. In this regard, I suggest you consult my guide on how to buy on the Play Store .
App Store (iOS / iPadOS)
On iPhone and iPad , you can download video games through the iOS / iPadOS App Store . This is nothing more than the virtual store of Apple mobile devices to download applications and video games, both free and paid.
The use of this store is bound to the use of an Apple account, which you can create for free directly from your device. If you don’t know how to do it or have any doubts about the procedure, I suggest you consult my guide on how to create an Apple ID .
After starting the App Store through its icon on the home screen (the blue one with the “A” in the center), all you have to do is press the Games tab , which you find in the bar at the bottom. By scrolling the screen, you will be able to view all the games included in categories that you can expand by pressing on the word See all . You can also use the Search function if you know the title of the game you want to download.
When you have found the game of your interest, tap on its thumbnail and press the Get button . All you have to do is unlock the download and installation with Face ID, Touch ID or Apple ID password. If you want to know how to add a payment method to your Apple ID, I suggest you read my guide dedicated to the topic.
In addition, I point out that Apple users can subscribe to Apple Arcade : a subscription service (free for the first month and then 4.99 euros / month), which allows you to access many titles for iOS / iPadOS and macOS without advertising or purchases. in-app. To use this, select the Arcade tab of the App Store.
Other solutions to download games on mobile
In addition to the solutions I told you about in the previous chapters, if you want to download video games on your Android smartphone or tablet, you can also consider alternative stores. These are the most suitable solution if you have an imported Android device or do not have Google services.
- Amazon Appstore: is the Amazon virtual store, an application dedicated to devices with an Android operating system that allows you to download free games or buy them for a fee, as well as many other apps.
- Samsung Galaxy Store: is Samsung’s digital store through which you can download or purchase games and applications for free. It is available by default on Samsung-branded Android devices.
- Huawei AppGallery: it is the official Huawei store and, thanks to its expanding catalog, it represents a valid alternative through which you can download free games or buy them for a fee.
Programs for downloading games to consoles
If you own a PlayStation , Xbox or Nintendo game console , you can download the games, often at discounted prices, through the pre-installed stores. These allow you to buy video games or simply download them, whether free or demo.
For some consoles, such as PlayStation and Xbox, through the subscription program, respectively denominated Play Station Plus and Xbox Live Gold , it is also possible to obtain free video games monthly. I told you in detail about these topics in my guides on how to get PlayStation Plus for free and how to get Xbox Live Gold for free .
In the next paragraphs, however, I will show you which applications you find on your console and that you can use to buy and download the video games you like.
- Play Station Store: is the reference store for PlayStation consoles. It allows you to download many free games but also offers a vast catalog of paid video games, often with very interesting discounts (increased, in some cases, for Plus users).
- Microsoft Store: is the virtual platform dedicated to Xbox consoles. Through the store in question it is possible to have access to a large catalog of free and paid video games. Thanks also to the Xbox Anywhere service , by purchasing a video game labeled with this wording on this store, you can then download it both on Xbox and on Windows 10 PC.
- Nintendo eShop: this digital distribution service is aimed at owners of Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U consoles and allows the download of free games but also the purchase of paid ones.