In some cases, users need to know how to turn off sleep mode on the computer so that your device is always in working order while it is turned on. It is necessary that the laptop or desktop PC does not go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity.
Suppose you are downloading a large file from the Internet, watching an online lesson, or attending a webinar. In such situations, you may need to keep your computer awake for an extended period of time while you are not physically interacting with it using your mouse or keyboard.
After going to sleep, the monitor and peripherals turn off, and other hardware goes into power-saving mode to conserve power. But such a scenario does not suit us when at this time the computer is busy with work, and we do not perform any manipulations on it with the mouse.
In order not to fall into such situations, you need to get information on how to disable hibernation in Windows. Laptops still use hibernation mode to quickly start the system, which can also be disabled, but this is not a sleep mode.
Most likely, your PC is already set up with a power plan that has your PC programmed to go to sleep after being idle for a certain period of time. In such cases, you can temporarily or permanently change the power plan to a more suitable one in order to disable sleep mode in Windows.
If you need to keep your computer awake without touching the mouse, there are several different methods you can use to fix this problem. In this guide, you will learn how to disable sleep mode on a laptop or desktop PC in the Windows operating system.
The built-in system tools will help us to solve the problem. You can also use a tool from Microsoft PowerToys to prevent your computer from going to sleep.
How to disable hibernation in Windows 11
First, read the instructions on how to stop your computer from going to sleep in the Windows 11 operating system. We will change the system settings using the Settings application.
Follow these steps to change the screen and sleep configuration options in Windows Settings:
- Press the Win + I keys to launch the Settings app.
- In the “System” tab, go to “Power”.
- In the Screen & Sleep section, set the options “When plugged in, turn off my screen after” and “When plugged in, put my device to sleep after” set to “Never”.
If you’re using a laptop, you’ll have additional options when your device is running on battery: “When on battery, turn off my screen after” and “When on battery, put my device to sleep after.” In these options, also select “Never”.
How to disable hibernation in Windows 10
Now you will learn how to disable sleep mode on Windows 10 from the operating system settings in the Settings application.
Do the following:
- Right click on the start menu.
- In the context menu, click on “Settings”, enter the “System”.
- Open the Power & Sleep tab.
- In the “Screen” option, in the “When plugged in, turn off after” parameter, set to “Never”.
- In the Sleep setting, in the “When plugged in, go to sleep after” option, select “Never” to disable Windows hibernation.
The laptop will have two additional options when on battery power that need to be set to Never.
How to turn off hibernation on a Windows computer from the control panel
You can also adjust your computer’s sleep settings using the Windows Control Panel by changing the power settings.
Do the following:
- Press the “Win” + “R” keys.
- In the Run dialog box, type “powercfg.cpl” to open the power management options.
- In the Select or Configure Power Management window, navigate to the power plan that your computer uses.
- Click “Power plan settings”.
- Change the “Turn off the display:” and “Put the computer to sleep:” options to “Never”.
- Click on the “Save Changes” button.
Notebook users need to select the “Never” option in the options separately for network and battery.
How to disable hibernation in the Local Group Policy Editor
You can change some specific settings in the Local Group Policy Editor to disable hibernation on your computer. This method is available in Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows.
Go through a few steps:
- In the Windows search box, type “gpedit.msc” to launch the Group Policy Editor.
- In the “Local Group Policy Editor” window, navigate to the path:
Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → System → Power Management → Sleep Settings
- Double-click the “Allow different sleep modes (S1-S3)” policy setting when the computer is idle (plugged in).
- In the window that opens, set the value to Disabled, and then click OK.
- Do the same for the “Allow different sleep modes (S1-S3) when computer is idle (battery)” policy setting to enable the “Disabled” radio button.
How to disable Windows hibernation using Microsoft PowerToys
Microsoft PowerToys is a set of free utility utilities for advanced users designed to configure certain operating system settings. This application is supported on Windows 11 and Windows 10 operating systems from version 2004.
Among the many features of the PowerToys is the Awake tool, which is designed to keep your computer awake without having to manage power and sleep settings.
You will need to follow these steps to keep your PC awake with Microsoft PowerToys:
- Download Microsoft PowerToys from: https://github-com.translate.goog/microsoft/PowerToys .
- Install the application on your computer.
- Launch PowerToys, and then in the window that opens, go to the “Awake” tab.
- Click on the “Open Options” button.
- In the options window, the “Awake” tool should be enabled.
- In the “Behavior” section, in the “Mode” option, select “Disable sleep mode indefinitely” or “Temporarily disable sleep mode”, depending on your needs. In the “Keep screen off” setting, move the toggle switch to the “On” position.
You can find the PowerToys icon in the notification area on the right side of the taskbar. Right-click on the program icon, and in the context menu, first select “Mode” (Mode), and then one of the application operation options:
- Off (keep using the selected power plan)
- Keep awake indefinitely – stay awake indefinitely
- Keep awake temporarily – stay awake temporarily.
In this way, you can also enable or disable sleep mode on your computer using Microsoft PowerToys.
Some users are faced with the fact that they need to know how to disable sleep mode on a laptop or PC. If your computer locks up automatically even after a short period of inactivity, you can disable this feature by changing your sleep settings and screen timeout feature. To do this, use the tools of the Windows operating system or a tool from the Microsoft PowerToys utility set.