In this article, we will tell you how to remove comments in Word in several ways to remove all or only some comments from a document. The Notes feature is often used by users when they are collaborating on a document to get feedback or comments from other users.
Note – a comment on the text of the Word document without making changes to the main content. This is a marginal note with opinions or suggestions for editing the document.
A piece of text or a word is highlighted in color on the document page, and on the right in the field there is a callout in a rectangle with the text of the note.
But, it doesn’t always make sense to display comments on the pages of a Word document. You can hide notes or remove them from the document, it is often necessary to remove notes in Word when printing.
If simply hiding the comments isn’t enough, for example if you want the document to be easier to read or you need to hand it over to the client, you can also remove the comments whenever you want. As soon as you delete the comment, both the comment itself and the color selection corresponding to it disappear from the document.
The difference between hiding and removing comments in Word
Some users accidentally send documents that contain comments. They do this by mistake because hiding the comments does not remove those comments from the document.
Microsoft Word allows users to hide document comments in the Review tab at will, in order to speed up the program and minimize the distractions that can occur with each edit and new comments.
Even if the program doesn’t show changes as they happen, if this feature is enabled, Word still tracks and logs them in the document. You can save the document with changes hidden from your view, but they will still be visible to other users if you don’t delete them properly.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to remove comments in Word, as well as how to hide comments from a document. You can use several methods to solve this problem.
How to hide notes in Word – 1 way
First, we will try to completely hide the notes, without removing the comments from the document. Document pages will appear as normal without displaying the note area.
If necessary, you can hide comments in Word in the following way:
- In the document window, go to the Review tab.
- In the Record Changes (Tracking) group, click the Show Fixes button.
- In the list of commands, turn off the “Notes” item.
- As a result, the note area will be hidden along with all existing notes.
How to hide comments in Word – 2 way
Another option is to partially hide the notes. In this case, the notes area will no longer be displayed on the pages of the Word document, and an icon will appear to the right of the note in the document text, with which you can see the selected text and the comment itself.
Use the following method:
- In the window of an open Word document, go to the “Review” tab.
- In the Notes group, click the Show Note button to make it inactive.
- The note area will disappear from the document pages, and a special icon will appear to the right of the selection.
- When you click the View Notes icon, a note callout appears in the document and a piece of text appears with a fill.
- Click anywhere in the document to hide the annotation.
How to delete a note in Word – 1 way
Now we will see how to remove the note on the right from the Review menu in Word.
Do the following:
- Highlight the comment on the Word document page.
- Open the Review tab.
- In the Notes group, click the Delete button.
If you accidentally delete a note or all comments, you can use the “Undo Input” shortcut located on the Quick Launch to undo this action. But this only works if you do it right before you save the Word document with these changes.
How to remove comments in Word – 2 way
The following instruction will help you delete a note in Word by another method.
Do the following:
- In the Notes area, right-click the comment box.
- In the context menu that opens, click on the “Delete note” item.
How to remove comments on the right in Word – 3 way
The essence of this method is that you can get rid of the comment in the Word document after deleting the text or other object that has been commented. After removing a piece of text, a word, or another object from a document, the note related to this object will also disappear.
How to remove all notes in Word at once – 4 way
In some cases, it is not rational to remove one comment from a document. It is much faster and more convenient to delete all comments at once.
To delete all notes in a document at once, you must do the following:
- In the open document window, go to the “Review” tab.
- In the Notes group, click the arrow at the bottom of the Delete icon.
- In the drop-down menu, click on the item “Delete all comments in the document.”
This action will remove all comments in your Word document.
How to turn off notes in Word – 5 way
The last way to remove all comments in Word is to use the “Document Inspector”. We use a tool that few people know about.
The Word Document Inspector feature helps you remove any information you don’t want to share, such as personal information associated with a document, hidden text, or in our case, notes.
Go through the steps:
- Enter the “File” menu and then select “Details”.
- Click on the arrow in the Find Issues button.
- Select “Verify Document” from the dropdown menu.
- Agree to save the Word file on your computer.
- In the “Document Inspector” window, click the “Inspect” button.
- After the check is complete, you will see that the notes have been found. In the “Notes, corrections, versions” section, click on the “Delete All” button to remove all comments from the document.
How to print Word without notes
In some situations, the user does not need to remove comments from a Word document, but the document needs to be printed without comments.
Proceed as follows:
- In the Word document window, select the “File” menu.
- Click on Print.
- Click the arrow in the Print All Pages button. All at once.”
- In the menu that opens, uncheck the box next to “Print corrections”.
- Click on the “Print” button.
During the editing process, users have questions about how to turn off notes in Word. In addition to deleting completely, you can hide comments so that they don’t appear on the pages of a Word document. You can use different methods to delete comments in Word. You can delete comments one at a time as you view them, or remove all comments from the document at once.